icon

2010 ford f150 and carvox problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tmel 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, i'm trying to install an older Carvox 2 way alarm remote starter combo on my 2010 ford f150 Lariat and having some difficulties with it working correctly.
I'm interested only in remote start function of the unit but cannot get it to work properly.
First of all, it was working correctly at one point, but then issues started. The remote control would not communicate with the main unit. I would push all the buttons with no luck, only getting a no Acknowledgement sound and icon, and then randomly it would start working for a bit and then quit again (both remotes, the system is new, but was bought about 5 years ago).
Next day a new issue occurred (this is the one I need help with first), the car starts and then dies right away and the cycle repeats 5 times. From what I understand the problem is with the tach wire. The tach wire is connected to the Tan / Brown wire on the ignition coil set for 1 cylinder. I did test the voltage at the unit and it does change when engine is running. I read that some remote starter systems can be programmed to run in tachless mode, also that they can be reset, don't see anything like that in the manual for my system.
Any advise? Thank you.
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
This might be hard to hear but the best advice I can give you is to save yourself the headache and remove it and install a reputable name brand starter.
My first ever install into my own vehicle was a Carvox/Radiostar brand and I had the exact problem as you; it worked fine for a while, then stopped working and never did figure it out. It was a total waste of time not only installing but trying to diagnose afterwards.
I would much rather go with a refurbished Viper, Python, Avital, etc.
tmel 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you, I was suspecting the problem might be with the unit and the brand all together. Is ProStart something you would recommend?
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
I would highly recommend ProStart. The 2-way LCD model goes on sale often at Canadian Tire. I've installed many and never had a problem. The only gripe I have is the remote goes through batteries pretty quick, but changing them is very easy and cheap (1 x AAA).
tmel 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
It is on sale there right now, i'll go pick one up, thank you for the advice.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic