2000 Silverado Bulldog Starter Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thatoneguy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2013 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Hi All,
I'm attempting to install an RS83B (Not shown on the Bulldog website, but it seems to be identical to the RS82B) remote starter in my 2000 Silverado 1500 (no factory alarm). I completed the wiring but when I apply power to the unit, there is a relay inside that clicks 3 times, then stops. The installation manual indicates that it should continue clicking until a button on the remote is pressed - that's how you "link" the remote to it.
I've followed the instructions to reset the unit and every time I re-apply power, it just clicks 3 times then goes dormant. I've also tried to quickly press a button on the remote during that brief period where it's clicking three times, but this had no effect.
The strange thing is, if I touch the blue (AMA) input wire to ground, then the remote starter module will start the vehicle so it appears that my wiring is correct...I just can't get the unit to link with the remote.
I also followed Bulldog's instructions attempting to get the unit out of "safe mode" by holding the brake pedal and holding a button on the remote but this had no effect either.
Does anyone have any suggestions for things to try?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

Does the Hood need to be open ( Hood Pin to chassis ground ), too?  

Did you try the Memory Clear routine? 

Soldering is fun!
thatoneguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
I did not hook up the hood pin switch but I've tried tying that wire to ground while applying power to the unit and it didn't have any effect. It still clicks 3 times then craps out.
I have indeed tried the memory clear routine as well. (cycling key from off to run position 5 times). No change.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't played around with a Bulldog unit since the RS1100 & RS1200 days but the good news is that they have a nice  warranty period and good Tech Support.  Think a call to Ohio on Monday is in order. 
Soldering is fun!
thatoneguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Problem Solved!
I spoke to Bulldog's tech support people earlier today and essentially I found that I wasn't cycling my ignition key fast enough to successfully perform the memory clear routine. The manual says to hold the brake and cycle the key on/off 5 times in 4 seconds...which I tried multiple times without success.
When I spoke to the tech support guy, he said this needed to be performed VERY fast and additionally he recommended that instead of 5 times, it should be about 20 times just to ensure that the reset takes place. So that's what I did. I frantically switched the key back and forth as fast as I could. I then unplugged the unit, waited, plugged it back in and presto - it began clicking away until I pressed a button on the remote. It's now linked with my remote and operates as expected.
One other option that the tech support guy told me about was to pull the wire off the Ignition 1 input, then while holding the brake, take a 12V wire and tap it quickly to the exposed ignition 1 terminal on the controller. I didn't try this, but it's my understanding that this does the same thing as switching the key back and forth except you're manually tapping the terminals together instead of toggling the key. If anyone else experiences this problem and you have a key that's difficult to switch back and forth quickly, this might be the best option.
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
Good you got it figured out !!!!
kreg357 
Posted: December 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Good to know info!   Thanks for the update.   2000 Silverado Bulldog Starter Problems -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic