icon

Heated Washer Fluid Switch, 07 GMC Sierra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
barry63052 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
OK, to start it is an 07 GMC sierra extended cab truck with the 5.3L engine. The truck came out with the heated windshield washer fluid option. Then there were some fires and GMC recalled all of them and disabled the heater system. All they really did though was take out the heater, cut the wires, tape the wires, and pull the 60 amp fuse.
Now, what I want to do is to reuse the original heated washer switch for a cargo light switch. I already know which wire I need to supply power to the light. What I cant figure out is the wires going to and from the actual heated washer switch. I do have the switch out, and much to my surprise, there is 10 wires going to it!
I did find out that 2 of them are hot, not sure if I checked with the key on or off though. Does anybody have a diagram of what the wires go to? I also had the switch apart, trying to figure something out, didn't work though! Maybe if I took a picture of the circuit board? Would that help?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
The switch has many wires because the connector is shared with other optional equipment.
There should be continuity between the black (position 3) and light green (position 7) when the button is pressed.
The yellow (position 4) should have power with the dashlights being on.
A ground on the dark blue/white (position 8) should turn the LED indicator on. Ignition will probably need to be on for the last operation.
The operation of the button will require additional circuitry as the button is meant to switch low current.
Mark
barry63052 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged  
First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you! At least now I have a starting point. As far as the low current, not to worried about that. I am planning on using a low current feed to trigger the BCM, so that shouldn't be a problem. And just to make sure I follow you, it should go like this: power in on black (pos.3), switched power out on light green (pos.7), yellow (pos.4) is power from the dash lights, and dark blue (pos.8) will go to ground for the indicator light. I think (and hope) I can make this work. Thanks again.
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged  
The black wire is meant to be ground as it also is the return for the LED backlight. The light green is to supply a ground when the button is pressed (per how the switch is designed). The LED indicator in the switch is independent of the pushbutton and backlight circuits.
barry63052 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
So, the switch actually switches the ground on and off? I wonder if I could use a relay to reverse the polarity?
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  
The light green will only have a ground on it as long as the switch is pressed. Yes, a relay could be used to invert the polarity. Are you looking to operate the factory cargo lamp or an additional unit?
barry63052 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
Factory light. And the factory light works fine now. Its just that its a silly set up. You have to have the dome light on to have the cargo light on. I am looking to add a switch so I can have the cargo light on whenever I want, regardless of the dome light. And since I already have a switch there doing nothing, would like to use it instead of making new holes.
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
Look into a dei 611t. It will convert a pulsed input to a latched output.
barry63052 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
OK, I just looked at them online. But Istill dont know what it is. What does it do, in fisher price terms?
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Set unit for negative input, latched output. Press button on dash, cargo light on. Press again, light out.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic