electrical wizes needed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
southwest2118 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2014 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
i have this diagram.. http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/motflash.html
it flashes the brake light a few times before going to solid, what can i do to keep the light steady if i press it again(brake pedal) within ...say 5 seconds, in stop and go traffic?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2014 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
That's where circuit solutions can get impractical and devices like PICAXEs & PICs are a better choice - eg, PIC 08M2.
I'm intending to do something similar for indicators as well as brakes, though probably at a rate relative to speed (and probably only 3 flashes).
An 08M2 can be programmed for any behavior and is easy to modify or update.
EG - for flashers I expect (to replace the flasher can and) replace the first flash (only if changing directions within a certain period) with 3 flashes, and maybe an increased flash rate at high speed. (That was intended for my bikes.)
Brakes might flash at a rate somewhat proportional to brake effort, or not at all below certain speeds or after repetitive braking etc.
Glad you see the need for NOT flashing under certain circumstances - eg, if pressed within 5 secs etc
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2014 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I would want it to flash at startup, especially in stop and go traffic. Inconveniencing a driver of a cage in order to make them notice you should be really low on your list of concerns.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2014 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
It's a pointless exercise... tintops never see us anyway...
For bike brakes, I'd argue always flash irrespective of speed, but to NOT flash after short brake breaks IMO is desirable, tho it has been years since some annoyed driver tried shunting me from the rear.
Note that I am considering a generic design for both car & bike use, hence the initial 'speed flashing' of the turn signals which is mainly intended for "race mode" in traffic.
[ Since race bikes do not have brake lights (else disabled brakes lights), brakes aren't an issue in that mode. Not that I'm suggesting that for road use! ]
And I want a 'thank you' signal - eg single alternate flashing of indicators - eg LRL or RLR - which I'll simply activate with a button.
Then there's the hazards which might be 3 fast flashes in the place of a normal flasher-on (maybe combine that with the thank-you LRL to really impress truckers..).
southwest2118 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2014 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  
With a PICAXEs & PICs it can be connected to a computer and its outputs can be programed? any how to's on this??
whats the "circuit solutions"?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2014 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
Circuit solutions are circuits like you linked to - ie, getting functionality via circuit design. But most electronics hobbyists have been using PICAXEs for things like for decades.
PICs etc are programmed by a PC etc via a serial interface (eg, old serial ports else USB to serial converters).
They have the typical CPU learning curve though there are so many open source programs etc that you'll probably find what you want direct else via a few programming mods.
Have a look at sites like picaxeforum.co.uk and get the Manuals from picaxe.com/Manuals.
I'd suggest the 08M2 (else 08M) for this project.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic