icon

diodes ve direction only?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
That is called an open circuit which is even cheaper than a diode.
A diode let's -ve current flow one way and +ve current the opposite way, and neither the other.
-ve one way & +ve the other means exactly the same thing.
To block one and not the other requires a quantum membrane, but that is of no use in an electical circuit.
The diode pic with antonic's circle is electrically exactly the same as the one below it with -ve flowing from left to right.
So if the -ve flowing from left to right is acceptable, why isn't the one he circled?
YET AGAIN, give and example or a description or a circuit/sketch of what is to be done.
Or try a diode in the circuit application and THEN tell me it does NOT work.
antonic 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
jstruckman wrote:
I diode will not do that. Antonic wants negative to go one direction, and no -ve and no +ve to come back through. A diode will still allow +ve to come back through. That is why he has the red circle on the diode showing +ve still coming back through.
Spot on.
I was tapping into the side folding mirrors with another switch so I couldn't allow +ve to flow back into my circuit.
I've now found another way to do this...
Thanks all!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Pray tell, how?
A diode will do it. Unless you mean you needed two diodes - ie, one for your tap plus one inserted into the existing feed.
It can be done with a relay, but diodes are usually used instead for simplicity.
And as I said, why did you only circle ONE of those diagrams when the one under it is exactly the same? (But deals with -ve flow.)
And people wonder why I tell them only to worry about conventional current flow and not worry about electron or ion flow. It's ok once you master the basics, tho even then I have seen experienced experts get confused - viz the text book author that wanted to know if "electricity" was the flow (sic) of +ve charge OR -ve (electron) charge where OR meant else implied one OR the other but not both. Poor fool.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
FYI - I referred to this thread in another reply so if you can justify your actions or reasoning... (That's for both antonic & jstruckman. I'm referring especially to antonic's last reply above.)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic