the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

bulldog remote start wrong power source?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fiddlebick 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a bulldog remote start only on my 2000 buick regal. I did a temporary tap into a small 12 volt wire to power the unit till I was sure my connections were tested. After assuring the car would start several times, I removed the power wire and relocated it to a much easier place to splice, and in fact I thought I would just tie it in to one of the 12volt constants on the ignition harness, since I already had the wire stripped there. So, now I had the red wire that powers the unit, AND one of the larger, heavy fused, red wires going into the remote starter tied to the same 12volt constant...now the car won't start at all as if the unit is not getting a signal. Is it possible I damaged the unit with that setup? I then went back to my original setup, and still will not start. I have disabled the vats with an inline resistor fix, and the car starts fine with the keys, so I know that isn't an issue. I have a call into bulldog tech, but I know they may be all day or even tomorrow returning the call. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
fiddlebick
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2014 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
I imagine you pulled the Bulldogs fuses and tested them with a Digital Multi Meter.  Did you also try replacing all the Bulldogs' fuses?  Might want to check all the harnesses to ensure that are properly and completely seated.
Soldering is fun!
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
That probably overloaded the circuit in the car. Check all the fuses in the car.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
fiddlebick 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Heres an update on my bulldog problem. The tech I talked to on the phone determined that my fob was defective and needed to be returned for service. In the meantime he told me to check my start function by touching the WHITE/ black wire to ground and if my connections are right, the unit should crank and start...which it doesn't! But I know my connections are good because it did start fine the first day I installed it, only the next day did it fail. I am currently waiting on the tech department to return my second call now....I think there is something wrong with the unit itself.
fiddlebick
fiddlebick 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Update on my install, after talking to bulldog tech, it was discovered that I had inadvertently dislodged one of the ground wires. This unit had two black wires that both have to be grounded to work properly. Now everything is working properly, and I want to say this is the fourth bulldog unit I have owned over the past 15 years and have had no trouble from them, once I get them wired correctly.
fiddlebick
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
That is my experience with Bulldog, also.  Very reliable unit, if installed well.  Limited programming options, and the older remotes were cheap but a good unit for the money.   Love that little LED test probe!!!
Soldering is fun!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic