icon

2013 vw gli security and remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cw6mt mkvigli 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2014 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hello and good day. I live in the nyc area and i'm unable to find an installer. I have a 2013 volkswagen jetta gli with manual transmission and kessy system.
I have an idatalink ads-al-ca and an encore automotive systems e9 security and remote start unit.
The idatalink would need to be flashed with the vw5 firmware.
I'm willing to drive about 700 miles round trip for a quality install. I would greatly appreciate if someone can recommend an installer. Alot of installers i spoke with are not comfortable with volkswagens.
Thank you for your time and i wish everyone a great week!
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2014 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, I was just checking info on the r/s security system you listed there and while reading the installation guide I did notice the first safety/precautionary points it lists is "Never install this system on a manual transmission vehicle." I am not familiar with the Encore brand but perhaps that is one of the biggest reasons installers do not want to tackle this project. This isn't to say don't install a r/s in a manual trans vehicle, just get a system that is safely able to integrate into a manual trans car.
Advanced
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2014 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  

Think the iDatalink VW5 firmware is for PTS vehicles with automatic transmissions.

The other issue is that most installers would want to install a R/S system they use and are familiar with.  Installing a customer supplied system might imply that the installer was warranting that system, not just his install labor.

Soldering is fun!
triniforever 
Copper - Posts: 323
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
That's strange I also live in the NYC area and there are literally hundreds of installers here maybe Kreg is right.
triniforever
cw6mt mkvigli 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the insight and advice. I purchased this system due to the high praise it received over on the volkswagen forums.

A fellow member of the volkswagen forum who i also believe is a member here actually installed these identical units into his mk6 manual transmission gti (without kessy). I was actually going to drive to his area of choice and have him install the unit.

He said although the ads-al-ca install guide indicates that its only specific for automatic transmissions the difference would be running the starter wire directly to the starter solenoid for the manual transmission. He also said that the encore unit has a manual transmission mode in which there is a specific criteria for shutting down the vehicle otherwise the next remote start cycle will be inoperable (e.g. foot off the brake and handbrake up before turning the car off).

I was thinking of just doing the install myself come springtime. I work with various electronic equipment in both the aircraft and pharmceutical field. I have experience with wiring and programming frequency drives, allen bradley micrologix PLC modules (some programming logic since i'm not done with my electrical engineering degree), temperature and humidity controllers, SSR's, contactors, etc. I just feel more comfortable giving the install job to someone who does this everyday and knows the vehicle. 

Thanks again for taking time to post. If it comes down to it, i'll just flash the idatalink to the HA1 software and install that along with the encore unit into my wife's 2004 civic. Her old autopage unit is starting to have issues. Triniforever, I'm from Trinidad myself so i recognize the culture from the user name. Take care everyone and if you do come up with any other ideas or solutions please post.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic