icon

buying reverse wire harness adapter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jwarren808 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2014 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 1990 Honda CRX Si, and when thieves took my head unit they cut the stock wire harness off, so its just a wireloom with all the colored wire ends sticking out of it.
i read that i would need a "reverse wiring harness adapter" ?,   which you attach to the cut harness on my car, so its able to have something for a normal car stereo wire harness clip to plug into.
i need help on how to find the correct "reverse wiring harness adapter" to fit my car's wire harness ?    where the color wires match up and stuff ...      
any help on how to find the correct one would be appreciated,   thanks
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2014 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
you'll need 2 harness. The Metra Part #71-1720 will replace the connector cut out in the car. Then the 70-1720 for if you are replacing the radio with an aftermarket radio.
The 71-1720 reverse harness that goes into the car will not match up colors with the cars wiring. But it will be simple enough for you to match them up yourself. The part will come with a paper that will tell you what each wire does on the 71-1720. For example red wire- switched 12 volt, yellow wire: Constant 12 volts... etc. Then on this site, on the top you'll see a link for "vehicle wiring" Click on that and choose Honda. On the 2nd page of Honda you'll see your CRX listed. Click on Radio and you will see all the wire colors that are in the CRX. Just test and match up the wires to the 71-1720. For Example:
71-1720      CRX        Function
Red       Yellow/red Switched 12 volt
yellow    Blue/white Constant 12 volts
black      Black Ground
Now if the thieves just cut through the whole factory harness like that. The probably blew a fuse or two. There are 2 fuses to turn on the radio. One is protecting the 12 volt constant and the other is protecting the switched 12 volts. The constant 12 volts is probably at the under the hood fuse box and the switched 12 volts is probably at the interior fusebox. I believe only one is actually labeled Radio though... If you have the book with the beak down of what fuse does what, you'll probably find the second one pretty quickly. I probably won't change the fuse until after you make or your connections, otherwise you might blow it again...
If you have any question, just let us know
jwarren808 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2014 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for replying so quickly, actually the ones you mentioned were the same ones i found on amazon.com that were recommended for my car, but i just did'nt know if they were the correct ones for sure, and wanted to do a little more research on some forums to find out which ones out there were the exact, correct ones to match up to my car.
so thanks for confirming that those are the ones i need for me,
and yeah i was planning on getting an aftermarket pioneer unit, and i'll be sure to check those fuses and replace with good ones,   
appreciate all the info

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic