icon

tips to cut down on time

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
andrewnathy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
I recently went to work for a custom shop where my primary job is handling remote start/alarm installs. I've been working in Car electronics for the past 8 years w/ a lot of other custom work & general auto repair experience, so I generally don't have issues with trouble shooting or hitting a roadblock when I run into a problem, but I feel my installation times are painfully slow. Granted its been a while since I was installing alarms/rs day-in/day-out, and I'd been using Audiovox products for the most part whereas I'm now using DEI, so its going to take some time to get the alarm wire colors down pat, but at least the Xpresskit modules w/ a D2D connection are saving me a bit of time. I use 3M T-taps & Install Bay connectors, butane soldering iron for data connections, and Power Probe III & Fluke 88v/a Multimeter for testing. I feel like there are some other things I could be doing [or not doing] to reduce the amount of time my installs are taking, I'm sure much of this will come simply by way of experience, but if anyone could offer advice/tips/tricks to save time I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks - &E
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
I'll ask a question then offer some advice.
At what butcher shop do you work?
3M taps????
Work fast = shoddy workmanship.
Test before boxing up.
andrewnathy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
For the most part I've never run into issue with T-taps, with the exception of older ford ignition harnesses (early 2000s and back where they used 10 gauge wires)and using t-taps on data wires in my early years (which is not something I would do again... ever). Call it what you want, but I've never met an installer that went to the trouble of soldering every connection, you simply don't have time to do that when you're trying to bust out at least 4-5 remote start installations in an 8 hr work day; its infeasible & unnecessary. That being said, if you'd like to continue being crass by saying things that don't matter then by all means go ahead as this is a public forum, but if you'd like too be part of the solution I would find that infinitely preferable.
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
Your line "but I've never met an installer that went to the trouble of soldering every connection," is frankly untrue, also I'll point out that doing 8 a day is a bad joke, even in a workshop with all the facilities.
Honestly if you can complete 8 a day to the customers' satisfaction, why do you need to speed up?
Test before boxing up.
andrewnathy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  
I'd be riding high on the hog if I could bust out 8 a day brother. I just started at this shop on Weds. and I haven't installed remote starts on the daily in almost 3 yrs, at that I've only done a handful in the past year, so I'm a bit rusty to say the least. That being said I had been doing a lot of in-depth electrical diag over the past six months, repairing "non-serviceable" (its amazing what you can do with a UL part number and Google), so my working knowledge & intuition when it comes to 12V systems is pretty much on point. I installed a Viper 5704 & a DBALL on an 03' Tahoe yesterday which took @ 3 1/2 hrs. and I installed the same setup on an 08' Silverado today which took @ 5 hrs. The Silverado was much simpler since the ignition is primarily controlled through the DBALL, and I'm sure it would take me less time than the Tahoe in the future, but I'm a lot more familiar with the Tahoe and I know that's where the lion's share of cutting down on time will come from; the hands on experience that allows you to work on something without thinking about it. Its the difference between 'knowing what you're doing' & 'knowing that you know what you're doing. Most of the experienced installers I've known can turn out a remote start in roughly 2 hrs. which is where I'm trying to get too. I'm not looking to cut corners; I actually got let go from my last job for getting into it with the owner after he rebuked me for not doing a quote unquote 'ghetto' install, when in reality he should've charged the customer more for labor. If you can make a living taking the time to solder every connection on your RS installs more power to yah man; I would love to be in that position, but the market here doesn't have a demand for it at the moment. That being said if you can advise me on how to install a remote start, with soldered connections in two hours or less I'm all ears... err... eyes. What I'm really trying to figure out is if there's a faster process I could be using. What I normally do is grab all the tools I know I'll need, disassemble the dash, test/tag all the vehicle connections, trim my wiring harnesses, group/twist paired wires & wrap all wires to an approximated length, install siren & antenna, make all my connections [cutting each wire to length, and running them in a manner so they can be tucked/zip-tied neatly out of the way, but the alarm module can easily be serviced at later date if necessary], flash the module if necessary, test and if all is well secure the wires/modules and reassemble. I don't see any flaws in my process, but if you, or anyone else, know a better way to go about it or have any time saving hacks, I'd wouldn't mind hearing about them. - &E
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
Do you "bench prep" the alarms and/or remote starters? That will help. Also, if you know what cars you are going to work on the next day or something, you have time to prepare for them. Look into how to disassemble the dash, look up wiring diagrams, check the12volt forum for tips/tricks on a specific car...etc. That will definately help. As for connecting wires faster and soldering, there is really no faster way than any one person can handle.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
I thought the butane soldering was interesting.
Except for heavy gauge power wiring, in an emergency I might use butane etc (for SMD soldering LOL), but otherwise an inverter & my Weller, else I'd make a AA cell iron.
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Snap on makes a soldering iron that runs on 12VDC and has a safety tip. It's a retractable hook that heats up when a button is pressed. That might save you some time since there's no worries of burning yourself or the customers vehicle. Switching to a more reliable brand might also help. When we sold DEI stuff I ran into an issue about 2 times a week that involved a call to tech. Now that we're going with compustar and idatalink D2D works every time and I think I called tech twice all season.
co_ne_dub 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
I will agree with soldering EVERYTHING and bench prep. The bench prep definitely has saved me a lot of time. As for your speed, only you will be able to manage that. What works for one may not work for another. I can turn out a Tahoe/Silverado rs/keyless in roughly 2.25 hrs now. A good quality bypass helps a lot. We use primarily iDatalink bypasses and switched to compustar units.Also I switched to a corded soldering station on an extension cord as opposed to my butane torch and I find it WAY easier to use as you are not dealing with an open flame and maybe damaging other nearby wires/components.
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
Andrew, no arguments with your last post you got it in one about working with vehicles you know to the point that it becomes routine and you don't have to think about it.
Unfortunately all of my work is mobile and the Weller gun stays at home I use two Weller Pyropen Juniors and while they are good for the job boy does it take time but I'm paid per job so who cares especially when yesterday's was a 200 mile round trip with mileage added.
Test before boxing up.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic