icon

550esp rs relay satellite

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
when your key is on (not remote started), if the 87a orange wire finds/touches ground it may spark or blow out the fused link that powers all of the car or ruin the "orange" relay (except the headlights). Whatever it would do probably would not be pretty.
Nobody like live wires hangin around.
Any unused wires from the relay bank should be indiviually taped off.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
jsta6 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
itsyuk wrote:
when your key is on (not remote started), if the 87a orange wire finds/touches ground it may spark or blow out the fused link that powers all of the car or ruin the "orange" relay (except the headlights). Whatever it would do probably would not be pretty.
Nobody like live wires hangin around.
Any unused wires from the relay bank should be indiviually taped off.
Sorry, I meant what if I left it all connected as is, not disconnecting anything...
Shawn
John 15:17
Four boys (basketball, volleyball, scouts, etc)
1987 Buick GN - Daily Driver
1985 Olds 442 - WHITE - lowrider - under restoration for ever
Wifes car - 2007 Jeep Commander
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
im gonna say this one more time.
totally removing the 87a wire is the smartest thing. It has no relevance to a regular install. your car was not designed to operate with the GM orange and brown wires tied together.
here is how GM designed it ...
GM brown wire runs things that you may need to use when the key is in the "ACC" or "ON" position. wipers, radio and some cars power windows, some cars not (i dont know why)
GM orange runs everything else (except ignition) that is operated by turning the key to "ON" .
GM pink runs ignition and engine running related things.
leaving the evil 87a orange connected to brown would connect GM brown to GM orange when the car is not running but if the car is switched to ACC. everything (except ignition) in the car would be powered from the single GM orange wire. a disaster waiting to happen.
yuk
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
jsta6 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
itsyuk wrote:
im gonna say this one more time.
totally removing the 87a wire is the smartest thing. It has no relevance to a regular install. your car was not designed to operate with the GM orange and brown wires tied together.
here is how GM designed it ...
GM brown wire runs things that you may need to use when the key is in the "ACC" or "ON" position. wipers, radio and some cars power windows, some cars not (i dont know why)
GM orange runs everything else (except ignition) that is operated by turning the key to "ON" .
GM pink runs ignition and engine running related things.
leaving the evil 87a orange connected to brown would connect GM brown to GM orange when the car is not running but if the car is switched to ACC. everything (except ignition) in the car would be powered from the single GM orange wire. a disaster waiting to happen.
lol...evil...OK, got it...
Shawn
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
cool.
im goin to bed, my brain is tired.
yuk
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
On your relay pack, there is a relay with a metal mounting tab. It appears to be used on the circuits in question. Unplug the relay and see if there is a diagram on it, or if it has the terminals labelled.
Take a pic of it. I'm wondering if it is a SPST-DM type. It could have two independent normally open contacts. That would explain it powering the accessory circuits.
jsta6 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:
On your relay pack, there is a relay with a metal mounting tab. It appears to be used on the circuits in question. Unplug the relay and see if there is a diagram on it, or if it has the terminals labelled.
Take a pic of it. I'm wondering if it is a SPST-DM type. It could have two independent normally open contacts. That would explain it powering the accessory circuits.
Winner winner chicken dinner!
I did not notice that. On the side, it has a diagram with two arms and instead of 87a, it has 87b.
Nice one...
I have to update my diagram now...
Shawn
jsta6 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2014 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Updated diagram.
550esp rs relay satellite - Page 3 -- posted image.
Shawn
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2014 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

Great call Ween. thats why Ween is a platnum guy and im just a silver one.

i cant believe i didnt think of that because years ago i had to work on a a car with a dei alarm/start unit and the guy had where every time you remote started the car with the alarm set, the alarm would go off saying it was the ignition.

about 25 minutes workin on it i figured out the alarm ign sense didnt work when alarm was set and NOT remote started. as im scratching my head, the guy says "all happened since i replaced the ignition relay"

come to find out, he went to walmart and bought a relay they sold as a foglight relay. and since it looked the same, he plugged it in........it was the ST model.

yuk
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2014 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:
I'm wondering if it is a SPST-DM type. It could have two independent normally open contacts. That would explain it powering the accessory circuits.
And I'm a lowly copper.
Well S.O.B.
Now THAT's some thinking outside the box. And you got it right. Now it all makes sense.
Thanks!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic