icon

wiring remote start into a generator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil2low 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
I am currently in the process of installing a "remote anything" by bulldog on my Boliy inverter generator. My knowledge of wiring is not too extensive so I am hoping someone has a basic solution to my problem. I have it all wired up to turn over the starter, pull the choke, turn engine on/off but when it comes to wiring up the Eco mode button I am lost. It's a 3 pin switch and no matter if it's on or off two wires are always making contact. I can have a negative or positive output from the remote starter but how do I alternate the contact? I am thinking possibly a relay would do this for me but as for wiring it, I am lost.
Can anybody help me out? Thanks in advance :)
qpham504 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Might be possible but the generator has to have its own starter. There are certain things to look for and things you will need to do. For instance think about how you're going to disengage the remote start function. If you don't than the remote start will continue to run no matter what. When we get into our cars, with remote start running, we have to put the key into the ignition and turn the key then step on the brakes to disengage the remote start function. You'll have to find a way to do that.
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
You're on the right track. If you're trying to override the switch to select a particular mode every time (non-eco mode for example), you'd wire this...
Relay Pinout:
Pin 85 - GND trigger from Bulldog
Pin 86 - +12V Constant
Pin 30 - Output wire from switch (electronics side)
Pin 87 - non-eco mode wire from switch
Pin 87A - Output wire from switch (switch side)
You'll have to cut the output wire coming from the switch.
BE SURE to wire a diode across pin 85 and 86 with the white strip side on pin 86. This will keep from frying the Bulldog unit.
If you need more help with this, take a picture of the switch (front and back) and label what the wires do (i.e. eco source, non-eco source, signal to electronics) so we can better assist. Also, let us know which mode you want it to be in when you start it with the remote.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, for your setup, you may want to have an actual remote starter for this with available AUX channels. It'll give you more flexibility, and you can even arm/disarm it (using a shock sensor) so you know if someone's stealing it! xD
Just a side note, any remote device will drain the battery. Slowly, but evenually. If the generator isn't used at least once every couple days, this may not be a good solution.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
lil2low 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2014 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks freqsounds. I went out and purchased a relay and diode and wired it up the way way you mentioned and it works perfect! I am ready for the camping season now. I will now have more beer drinking and sitting on my butt time.
Thanks again for the help wiring remote start into a generator - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic