icon

need clutch bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a Viper 5901 alarm/remote starter on a manual transmission. I need to hook up a wire to the clutch pedal switch. The clutch wire is +12v N/O. I tested the wire with a DMM and it shows 12v when I start the car with the clutch pressed down and then switches to ground. Do I need to hook up a relay? And if so, how? This is my first time messing with manual transmission.
Thanks.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2014 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

The easiest way is to use a relay.  Wire as follows ( assuming the Viper Violet (-) 200mA Starter Output is not already in use ) :

Relay Pin 85 to Viper Violet (-) 200mA Starter Output
Relay Pin 86 to +12V constant
Relay Pin 30 to one side of vehicle clutch interlock switch
Relay Pin 87 to the other side of the clutch interlock switch
Relay Pin 87a not used

This way the relay completes the interlock switch circuit whenever the Viper cranks the starter.

Additionally, the relay doesn't care what the vehicle clutch interlock signal is ( +12V, +5V, Data, chassis ground ), it just completes
the circuit, just like depressing the clutch does.

Soldering is fun!
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2014 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks. So if I wire a relay to the 200ma starter output, will it activate just before the Viper unit attempts to start the car?
Before I posted on here, I tried to run a wire from the clutch switch to the heavy gauge starter wire (purple) on the Viper unit. It works when it wants to. I guess because the clutch isnt seeing a signal before the starter wire activates. Thats why im asking the question above.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
In that case, you could use the Viper's Pink (-)200mA Ignition Output wire for relay Pin 85, instead. That would be the same as if you depressed the clutch pedal as you turned the key to ON. It should make the clutch interlock 2 seconds prior to cranking the starter. If the Pink (-)200A Ignition Output was already used, you could even use the Blue (-)200mA Status Output or the Blue/White (-)200mA 2nd Status Output ( programmed as Status Output ).
Soldering is fun!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic