taurus trunk pops too easy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hi folks,
Any ideas would be great here. Dealing with a 2004 Ford Taurus that has the factory keyless entry/alarm (4-button remote). The trunk pops with one push of the button on the remote, which is way too easy. The trunk has been opened by mistake WAY too many times.
Can I wire a relay either under the dash or in trunk to make it work off of two presses? Or maybe a 1.5 second press of the button?
Any other ideas are welcome of course.
Thanks!
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
a 528T dei timer relay could be wired in to only let the trunk be popped for 1-90 (adjustable) seconds after the doors were unlocked. any other time the trunk button would not work.
could maybe all be wired from the trunk if the remote keyless entry (RKE) module is in the trunk.
what part of US are you in?
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
That's one idea - thanks. Any way to wire in a relay to make it only pop the trunk after 2 pushes?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
PAC TR7, programmed to option 14 or 15.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks...never seen that before.
I still thought there would be a way to go to the actuator's wire in the trunk and add a relay to it to make it wait for a second push of the button - or something along those lines?
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
if there is a 12 constant power feed in the runk that is capable of driving the trunk solenoid(10 amp?), you could install a dei 450T with a relay and use it to pop the trunk using the 450T's channel 2,3,4,5 or6 depending how many times you wanna push the trunk button 2,3,4,5 or six.
its kinda the long way around but would be easy to wire.
once wiRED / prepped/programmed on the bench, installation in the car require be breaking the wire to the solenoid and
connecting the relay's 30 terminal to the solenoid,
connect the 450T power wire & relay's 87 to the power feed found in the trunk,
the wire that used to run to the solenoid connects to the 450T's trigger input,
ground the 450T and you are done.
NOTE.... this does not have to be installed in the trunk, it can be installed anywhere along the way that you have access to power and a place to stash the small 450T unit and relay.
heck, if you mounted it in the dash you could use an alternate programmed channel to light your headlights for 30 or 60 seconds.
the dei 450T is a wonderful little device. if power is interupted it wont lose programming.
study it and see what you think... they are super cool.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
I have another idea you could do with just a regular plain old relay.
Be SURE to read the "Relays" section on this site to familiarize yourself with how relays work.
1: Verify that the car's domelight turns on when you press the unlock button on the OEM remote. I'm sure it will do this, but you want to make sure first.
2: Locate the dome light wire in the car. It's probably a positive trigger on that car, but I'm not sure. You can most likely find it at the fuse/relay box above the driver's left foot, or at an underdash courtesy light, or at the dome light itself.
3: Locate the wire that goes to the trunk-release motor in the trunk. You can always find it for sure at the trunk motor, but instead of going way back there, you could hopefully find it at the front fuse/relay box.
Go to the trunk lid, find the wire, and test it. Then, go to the fuse box, and test any wire you find that's the same color.
NOTE: The button on the dashboard won't do you any good. You want the actual wire going to the motor.
Once you've found the motor wire, try to open the trunk with the remote control and verify that it does NOT work.
4: Now, wire in a relay like this:
85: Chassis ground
86: Positive domelight wire from car
87a: No connection
87:   "Fuse Box" side of the trunk motor wire you just cut
30: "Trunk Lid" "Fuse Box" side of the trunk motor wire you just cut side of the trunk motor wire you just cut
HOW IT WORKS:
When the dome light is off, the trunk release won't work---neither from the dashboard button, or from the remote.
When the domelight is on, the relay is activated, which makes 87 and 30 come together, which allows the trunk release motor to receive current.
OPERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:
When the car is closed and locked, the trunk release button won't work.
To open the trunk, unlock the doors with the remote (which turns on the domelight), and then press the trunk-release button.
NOTE: In the event the OEM remote should fail or get lost, simply open any of the car's four doors (which turns on the domelight), or use the dimmer wheel on the dash to turn on the domelight, and then push the "trunk" button on the dashboard.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
What if the domelight turns on with the trunk release? But i was thinking on similar lines with you Chris.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
AWESOME! That's the type of answer I was looking for - thanks Chris! I knew there was some easier way to just use a relay. Quick question - you mention to "try to open the trunk with the remote control and verify that it does NOT work". But you never said anywhere to cut the wire. I'm assuming you meant to tell me to cut the motor wire, right?
(I used to come on this board a lot, but since we had kids I haven't had any time to tinker anymore. I actually remember your name from years ago)
As for Ween's comment - thanks - I'll check and see if the trunk release turns on the domelight too.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic