icon

starter disable on canbus vehicles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amped up 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Lately I've been installing GPS tracking with starter disable and when I come across a car that doesn't have a "true" starter wire at the ignition switch, I've been pulling from a start wire in the engine compartment. Is there an easier way when dealing with a can-bus ignition switch? I only make $50.00 an install so I'd like to stay away from bypass modules as this would jut eat into my small profit. Is there a simply bypass module that is made just for this type of installation without all the other features? Is it possible to use a simply relay or would this just fry the circuit? I can knock out most any car in 30 minutes unless it's GM.

howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
The way I do it on say Mercedes Sprinters is to find the actual 12V starter feed and run through to it using a relay.
It's in the main loom under the hood and adjacent is an ignition wire so I'm simply running my trigger wire out of the cab area.
Do NOTgo near the ignition switch.
As for the Prius.........
Test before boxing up.
amped up 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
That's how i've been doing it as well. Actually running out to the engine bay and finding a true starter wire. Wanted to see if anyone had a trick that would shave off a little time or maybe a simple module that would be worth the cost ...wishfull thinking I guess.
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Let me know if you find something, except Sprinters and their VW counterpart are very common over here in Europe.
I did know of one company where an installer thought he'd connected to a door trigger, oops = £$£$£$.
The other side of the coin for them is that it rarely takes me longer than an hour for a CAN alarm.
Test before boxing up.
amped up 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

If I come up with a cool trick from someone, I'll be happy to pass it along. If I was doing a full alarm, I wouldn't have a problem using a module but with it just being a simple starter interupte, I thought I could find a workaround. Oh well...maybe someone with an electrical engineering degree can come up with a magic box. LOL

godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
I have been installing GPS units with starter disables also lately. There is no easier way that I know of. I did an install on a Mercedes not long ago, and had to go under the hood. The hardest part was finding a place to go through the firewall. Im not sure if you know about this, but on some GM vehicles you can wire in a relay to the ignition wire and accessory wire and it will disable the starter. Thats the only trick that I know as of right now for those certain vehicles. I havent been installing starter disables that long yet, so thats all the input I can give.
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Does the GPS unit have a ground output that will be active when the starter should be disabled? If it does on GM vehicles you can use it with a relay as follows
87 & 86 to main ignition wire , 85 to said ground output, and 30 to ACC.
This will keep the ACC wire powered the whole time the ignition is turned on therefore not allowing the engine to crank
amped up 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

That's an excellent question blanx218.  The units are provided by the dealership so I we do is wire them up and if we get a green light, the car rolls back to the dealership and they activate the system after that. It's only 5 wires (ground, power, ignition, key side and starter side with the relay built in. I guess we need to test the starter side wire and see if it's going to ground or would I just need to run the key side wire to one side of the ignition switch wire and the starter side to the other end of the ignition switch wire?

amped up 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
One quick question, and this might be something that just needs to be tested first. The way the starter interrupt currenlty works is it doesn't have any negative impact while the car is operational. However, once the interrupt is activiated, the next time you attempt to start the car, it won't crank. What negative impact, if any,  could wiring up the ignition wire as provided above cause? The last thing we need is for the car to lose power while driving down the road.
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
If it kills the starter it doesn't matter and blanx never mentioned ignition kill which is a no-no he said "won't crank".
Test before boxing up.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic