the12volt.com spacer
icon

need rocker switch illuminated while off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikekomm 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mikekomm
Hello,
I am looking to find a simple on/off rocker switch that is either illuminated while in the on and off position, or only illuminated while in the off position.
I've found many rocker switches similar to the one below:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UZSIKM
The problem with these is that they are too small for my mounting hole (.830" x 1.45") and they only illuminate while in the on position.
Where can I find a simple rocker switch that fits the mounting hole I have? Also, would the switch have to be specifically designed for illumination while in the off position or is this something that can be adjusted during installation (i.e., with a specific wiring configuration)?
Thank you!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The only way I can come up with would be a Single Pole Double Throw rocker and a separate illumination source. When the switch is off for your device, it will provide power to the LED, or lamp. When the device is powered, the lamp will not be illuminated.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2014 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Any switch where the LED or bulb is independent of the switch poles.
mikekomm 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2014 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mikekomm
Thank you both very much for your help! Would there be any reason why I wouldn't be able to do this with a Single Pole, Single Throw with independent illumination instead of a Single Pole, Double Throw?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2014 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
EDITED:
If the LED/bulb is independent, then (obviously) you can do whatever you want with it.
You only need to remove one LED/bulb wires from the terminal.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Old Post, but I'll put this in, because I've seen this "light ON in the OFF position" come up before.
Many Illuminated SPST switches have 3 terminals:
B+, Output or Common, and GND for the LED. The output terminal is common to both the load, and the LED.
To have the LED ON with the switch OFF, connect as follows:
(Switch Terminal) = (Connect to)
B+ = LOAD, and Jumper to GND
Common = B+
GND = Jumper to LOAD.
With the switch in OFF, the LED will ground through LOAD. With switch in ON, the LED will have B+ on both sides, and will be OFF.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic