icon

cutting hole in rear deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Im planning on an audio install on a '13 Honda Accord. My plan is to mount a small sub in the rear deck. What is the best way to cut a hole in the rear deck? Will a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade work?
Thanks.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
i like to use an air body or air saw which ever name you wanna call it. its alot easier than a jig saw.
overall the air saw does a pretty slick job of making any sheetmetal cut you need.
they are cheap to buy and the blades dont cost a whole lot.
harbor freight sells cheap blades for a cheap price and they work pretty good. the saw can be bought there also on sell sometimes for about 15 bux.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2014 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
i hate those harbor freight air saws, i bought one for my shop thinking the same thing because it was so cheap i figured it was worth a shot. that air saw couldnt even finish a single cut and the seals and o-rings blew out within 10 minutes. we returned and warrantied that saw at least 3 times that week before we gave up.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ive had mine well over 10 years and never had a problem and boy does it get beat on.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
burntkat 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I've had mine for well on about 10 years, and though I don't use it every week, I use it MUCH more than a "shadetree" ought to.
I used it and several of their other cutting implements, both electric and pneumatic, when building the suspension on my truck. MUCH heavier-duty use than you'll ever do in car audio work, even if you do it for a living.
Damn stuff is like Timex. It takes a licking, keeps on ticking. Considering I have all of $10 or less on each of my grinders from HF (I own 4 of them, specifically because they're cheap enough to keep them set up for grinding/cutting/flapper/wire wheels), and they've actually outlasted my more expensive grinders.
Additionally, in the buildup of my front suspension (not bolt-on parts, I had to literally cut all the factory suspension off and build my own - solid axle swap on an S-10), I killed a Dewalt reciprocating saw - literally had smoke pouring out of it! Bought a $40 replacement at Harbor Freight and proceeded to beat the snot out of it. It's yet to complain.
Talk what you will, most stuff is built in China now, that's just how it is. I'd be all about buying American if it was 1) available, and 2) up to the job. Sadly, it is rarely both.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. - Robert A. Heinlein"
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
maybe thats why, yours are much older so maybe the quality has changed over the years, idk but im not exaggerating when i say that we broke 2 of those saws in the same day trying to make the same cut on the back deck of a car. i was just really disappointed because i usually have better luck with harbor freight tools

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic