icon

do i need a capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
saiful 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 4:49 AM / IP Logged  

i want to run a 12" sub through a 1 channel amp can anyone tell me if i need a cap and what difference does it make?

thanx.

saiful
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
Nope, would be a waste of money more than likely but just for the sake of info, what kind of sub and amp do you have in mind?? What will the rest of the system consist of??
showdwar 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

saiful,

Well the rule is 1.0 farad for every 1000 amps (.5 farad for 500amps).  I am also in a stump on this in another post.

What is the wattage on your Sub and what are you putting out with your Amp?  These are the key determinates.

Jussi 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2003 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
showdwar wrote:

saiful,

Well the rule is 1.0 farad for every 1000 amps

1000 amps.????
You mean 1000W... don't you?
Installer/Owner
JL-Autosound
Helsinki, FINLAND
red_1 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  

It all depends on the type of music you listen to.  If you listen to music with a lot quick, sudden hits (rock) a cap would be a great choise.  But if you listen to music with a lot of bass like rap, a cap would be a waist of money

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

In my opinion you don't need a cap, I would say save your money and opt for a optima battery if you feel that you need to upgrade something..

emarald 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

Personally I don’t have a cap but my friend recons that he can play for longer with the cap than before he had it, aka his battery would run out of juice a lot quicker. Note in an amp the power supply side requires a certain amount of capacitors to supply high drain peaks to prevent the transformer from completely unloading, this can be worked out precisely when designing an amp and quality manufactures will ensure that there is more than adequate capacitance built into the amp. Car batteries take about a tenth of a second to recover from a short high current power draw and caps take less than 1 microsecond to refresh, where caps really save you money is when the supply voltage drops to below 12v, amps will draw more current to make up for the lower voltage and this extra current gets dissipated as a lot of extra heat, with a cap in the middle, aka a 20v cap, voltage will build up in the cap to it's rated voltage and that's what will get dumped to the amp, of course if the battery is to low to charge the cap before the next high draw........smoke!!!!!

I need more power.....
Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
First, if you see your lights are dimming, you should get first a HIGH oUTPUT ALTERNATOR, SECOnd Yellow TOP OPtima.....
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Seb018 is right you need to up grade your alternator. 200 ampers should be more than enough to do the job. if you still want a cap do it after the alt and batt up grade. I run a 200amp  alt. 2 duralast 1000amp batts under the bonett and a 400 amp 200 farad battcap at the amps. I have no troulbes feeding my amps all the power they need. I run a 2000wrms classD and a 800wrms class AB and a 370wrms class ab. with 8 12's 4 6x9's 2 6.5 comps 2 5.25's and 2 4's and 2 tweets. If you want to see the battcaps go to www.battcap.com
Big Dave
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2003 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry wrong address for batcap. www.batcap.net  that will get you there.
Big Dave
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic