dei vss5000 interface with dball2pro

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gravitational 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2014 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
As a 1st time Father's Day gift, I recently received a Viper VSS5000 (DSM200 & 5103 brain, w/474T remote), as well as a DBALL2Pro CAN-BUS interface. I'll be installing them into a 2012 Nissan Titan.
Each of the three modules has a single D2D data port. I've spent a fair amount of time scouring the web (including this forum) collecting diagrams, schematics, and install guides for this installation. The guides & diagrams contradict each other, somewhat. Included was a single 4-pin (brown on one end, white on the other)(3-wire) D2D cable. The guide for the VSS5000 indicates that the DSM200 should be connected to the VSS5000 module via the aforementioned D2D cable. However, the DBALL2Pro diagram indicates that this very same wire should interface the DSM200 & DBALL2Pro together. Almost as if the 5103 would be eliminated from the install altogether. This would eliminate a few features that are present in the 5103 that I'd like to have.
What am I missing here? Is this where W2W comes in? DEI is so protective of the diagrams, it's difficult to know what I missing. Is there a way for me to include the 5103 into the install? Are there additional harnesses that I'll need to buy? I haven't been able to locate any W2W diagrams/info for these modules.
I'm guessing the question will eventually come up, a local dealer has agreed to activate the DSM for $60.
I appreciate everyone's time & effort.
Cheers,
gravitational 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2014 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I stand corrected, the supplied D2D/ESP cable has a black plug on the DSM side, and brown one on the other side. It is still a 4-pin/3-wire. (Not the Y-cable).
The WHITE/ brown cable is for the XKL2. It is 4-pin/4-wire (but a different wire color arrangement).
Cheers,
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
To confirm that, DSM uses a black three pin plug going to the black three pin socket on the 5103, DB-ALL uses a reddish brown plug going to the same colour receptacle on the 5103.
Note. Wire up the 5103, then the DB-ALL, confirm everything is working then plug in the DSM, if the DSM has a white or grey wire at the module end and gives you programming instructions, ignore, do nothing with that wire.
gravitational 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
Howie II, thank you for the reply.
In regards to your black-->black & reddish-->reddish suggestions;
DBALL2Pro, has a 4-pin plug receptacle , it's white.
VSS5000 (5103) has a 4-pin plug receptacle, it's also reddish-brown.
DSM200 has a 4-pin black plug receptacle (at end of 3" pigtail).
I have a cable that has (3) Green, Black, & Blue wires. It came with the VSS/DSM package. The plugs at both ends are 4-pin plugs. One end, black, fits the DSM pigtail. The other end, reddish-brown, fits either the 4-pin reddish-brown ("Bitwriter/D2D") port on the 5103, or the 4-pin white ("SmartStart/XKLoader2") port.
There are no black, 3-pin (or 4) ports/plugs on the 5103. Likewise, there are no 3-pin (or 4) on the DBALL2Pro, either. There's a black 2-pin (toggle) port, and a black 16-pin (H2) port on the DB. Those are the only black ports on either of those two modules.
There are both gray & white leads that stem from the DSM. I'll not connect those, as you instruct.   The user guide for the DB had instructed, that IF I connected the DSM to DB via D2D to ground the gray wire. At this point that sounds moot. The more I read, the more I think I'll be forced to figure out how to interface the 5103 & the DB via W2W (if possible), and connect the DSM to the 5103 via D2D. I'm not sure yet what features, if any, that I'll lose (between the DB & 5103).   
What are your thoughts?
Cheers,
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  
Absolutely correct, my apologies, the 5103 is too old a unit to have the black 3 pin DSM 200 socket. I honestly don't know the answer unless you parallel wire it with the DB-ALL, I'm used to later units with "plug and play", short of advice from others here I think the 5103 needs to be upgraded.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged  
Try and swap the 5103 for a 5X04/6, then, no problems.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Try and swap the 5103 for a 5X04/6, then, no problems.
Forgive me but things sold in a package (VSS5000) "should" work together i.e. the dsm should interface with the 5103.
I'm no smartstart guru (can't see myself in paying a subscription fee to unlock/lock/start my car) but does the DSM not connect to the bitwriter port on the alarm/rs module and the bypass connect to the D2D port on the alarm/rs module?
Personally, I don't rely on colors but more diagrams and pinouts. Colors can lie, pinouts never will.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't have a Bitwriter port!
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
The 5103 doesn't have? Oh well that's that. A little looking into the VSS5000, crutchfield indicates it (VSS5000 package) is compatible with DB-ALL but the DB-ALL has to be hardwired as the SmartStart module uses the D2D port. The DBALL2Pro might just be too all-in-one to mesh with the VSS5000 package dei vss5000 interface with dball2pro -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2014 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Its because the 5103 is an old fashioned piece of tat that should have been ditched from the range years ago.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic