icon

rebuilt subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jim4626 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
i recently blew my 10 inch kicker, so i opened it up and wound a new coil in it. i used a bigger magnet and thicker magnet wire. the problem im having is the coil is 1.7 ohms and my amp is only stable bridged at 4 ohms. is there a way to raise the impedance using a filter of some kind
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
no, not really
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2014 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
jim4626 wrote:
i recently blew my 10 inch kicker, so i opened it up and wound a new coil in it. i used a bigger magnet and thicker magnet wire.
THIS is a process I'd like to watch... Not impossible, but CERTAINLY not an easy proposition. Where'd you get the varnish/epoxy for the coil? Are you sure you are talking about the actual woofer, and not a passive crossover; rewinding the inductor inside there? Pics, please, I truly am fascinated. It's certainly something *I* would never try, and if it works, kudos, amigo! :)
Second to that statement, OF COURSE it will be a lower impedance - it's a larger wire. Larger wire will have a lower resistance, but in order for it to fit, you'd have to put fewer turns on it, even further lowering the resistance.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone with the skills to hand-rewind a voice coil (and change the magnet structure) should also have the skills to control the result... and would never ask the OP's question about "raising the impedance with a filter of some sort." That is, if they really knew what they were doing. What are the new T/S measurements on your rebuilt woofer?
Support the12volt.com
jim4626 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
the wire was from an old electric motor so it was already insulated. i recently took it back apart a wound another coil around it so it is 3 ohms between the 2 coils. im not a professional so it at first i didnt think it would work, but it did so it was just trial and error
jim4626 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
it was actually pretty easy i used a 16 oz. red bull can for a former and epoxy from pepboys. im not a professional but the speaker was blown anyways so i gave it a try. ive actually added another coil. its now at 3 ohm between the 2 coils.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2014 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
The point being that the thicker gauge means less resistance per turn, hence more turns needed for the same resistance.
But thicker turns means less in the given volume, hence less magnetic flux (turnd x current) but that is made up by the higher current thanks to the lower resistance. But that requires an amp that can drive it - ie, 1.7R instead of 4R etc. But the changed inductance changes frequency response etc etc.
Insulation probably isn't a big deal as speaker voltages are relatively low and most can probably handle the highest differentials at layer ends etc. But insulation type & thickness effects capacitance etc etc.
And speaker impedance being resistance & inductance & capacitance...
Tho high frequency speakers can use impedance matching transformers (tho they effect impedance/response), subs are too low frequency to be practical.
To boost resistance you would add a series resistor, but at 4R (Ohm) nearly 60% of your amp's output would be wasted in the resistor.
jim4626 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
i noticed after rebuilding it it plays less higher frequencies and handles every bit of my 600 watts
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
IOW increased coil inductance.
Let's hope the amp handles the extra power (lower resistance).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic