icon

rs 730 draining battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2014 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Your comparing old against new and they don't compare anymore. It's like comparing a car crash between a 1970's oldsmobile and a modern prius and complaining the damage is much more extensive and expensive for the same crash. You can't equate the two, the prius is a completely different beast.
If you want a 100 amp alternator built to last then it won't be as light or as small as the 100 amp alternators that fit under the hood of modren cars, nor will it be nearly as affordable. You have the vacuum cleaner scenario, how much will an all metal vacuum cost the average user in money and convenience vs the all plastic ones and which will the majority actually buy?
You live in the disposable throw-away age now. Nothing is meant to last or be fixed anymore, only replaced. This includes the top two rock steadies of long ago: 1) Your career/job and 2) your spouse.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2014 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
Just because I have used examples of old doesn't mean....
But you have made yourself clear and I agree.
Those that suffer the "vicious cycle" of batteries wrecking alternators now know why.
Those that want to break that vicious cycle of bad batteries or overloads wrecking alternators may heed my writings.
I agree that things are disposable and have a nominal expected life but IMO that doesn't mean things should typically fail under common operating conditions before such time. I have provided my solution for the common alternator (and battery) failure scenarios. I believe the same applies to modern DP etc alternators.
Sorry trigga. Let us know if your old battery damaged your alternator or if your alternator proves to be out of (voltage) spec.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2014 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
that doesn't mean things should typically fail under common operating conditions before such time.
I have to say even the made to be replaced batteries and alternators of today perform quite well under "common operating conditions"
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2014 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
So here's the sidebar:-
You have a six year old BMW and your battery is failing. (About the right battery life for the UK).
The IBS, or intelligent battery sensor monitors the battery and as it starts to fail amongst other things shuts down stop start, audio heater etc.
It also increases the charge from the "intelligent alternator".
When you change that battery you then have to go to a BMW Stealer and have the IBS reprogrammed at a cost of £176 (= US $250) to turn on the accessories and reset the alternator.
What fun.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2014 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, that's progress - or capitalism - ensuring everything must be done by service agents. (LOL)
I don't get what catback is saying other than the same old same old, else that new/modern Jap alternators are also now failing after jump starts or overloads like dual batteries etc, added headlights, etc.
By "common" operating conditions I include things like jump starts and certain overloads (eg, discharged or dual batteries etc) except where systems prevent that and no user/owner additions are allowed - but even then I do not accept an alternator that fails as a result of a bad battery etc. Under exceptional circumstances yes, alternator can blow. But even some of those I have outlined, the battery burns or explodes long before. And granted, call me spoilt, but I'd consider the owner of a vehicle that continues to operate a collapsed battery to be an exception... (common as such may be - yet we wonder why modern vehicle require dealer resets?!)
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2014 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
You expect too much. Jump starts are far from "Common operating conditions" I mean what percentage of automobiles out of the whole perform jump starts on a regular/daily basis. Sitting at the pump getting petrol is a more common occurrence.
That said, I have jump started many cars, trucks, big (transport) trucks, and bikes (motorsickles) and I have NEVER had an alternator or other charging system type fail as part of or due to the process of jump starting on either end of the jumper cables.
It is what it is, complaining about it will get you nowhere.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2014 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Great - you agree with me. (Keep in mind I never started that jump-start warning; until recently I thought it was yet another bullsh spouse tale.)
Getting back to my original comment re "Battery kills Alternator" - (likewise....) bad batteries should not cause alternators to fail.
That is all. Forget my incidental adjuncts.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2014 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Getting back to my original comment re "Battery kills Alternator" - (likewise....) bad batteries should not cause alternators to fail.
That is all. Forget my incidental adjuncts.
Why?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2014 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
Winding saturation.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2014 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
That says nothing, the way you explain it I should be able to use a 12v 100 amp car alternator as an arc welder. That little thing designed to keep a car battery topped up and run some electrical accessories should have no problem with me using it as a substitute for a much more expensive, bigger, and heavier arc welder.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic