icon

piezo buzzer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
petetheteach 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Can anyone tell me how I can make a piezo buzzer have an intermittent sound (like a turn signal). If my maths are correct, to use a 12 volt turn signal relay, I would need to fit a 2.4ohm resistor into the circuit to make it work correctly but this would create a lot of heat.
Any suggestions? please keep it simple to match my electronics brain.
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have not tried it but an electronic flasher for LED lights may work in this application. I doubt a thermal type flasher would work. What are you trying to do exactly? When do you want the buzzer to sound? What length of time? How are you planning to trigger or turn on the buzzer?
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
petetheteach 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have a switch on my handlebars which i will use. The idea is to have the piezo buzzer (130db so hardly a buzzer)sound at the same rate as the indicators would flash. I noticed that when I was filtering between two lanes of slow moving traffic with the indicators and buzzer going, people knew I was coming and some even moved out of the way to help me.
I was advised by an ex Police motorcycle officer that I should not have the signal going but the buzzer was a good idea
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2014 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
Take a feed from the left and right indicators via a 1N5404 diode in each wire, bands towards the buzzer then the other wire to ground. You can by a 12 volt buzzer from Maplin for about £4.
Why a resistor?
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of flasher are you using now for the indicator lights? Can a 3 prong flasher be used instead? If yes, you can wire the buzzer to the pilot (P) prong.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
petetheteach 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies guys but I think that some have not quite understood what I am trying to do. I do not want an indicator warning buzzer. I am trying to just have the buzzer sounding without the lights. A totally separate circuit to the indicators with nothing to do with the indicators at all.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
On off timers circuit, Velleman, Maplin etc.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2014 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  
555 circuits are commonly used. Google "555 astable cicuit".
You can also google "555 piezo buzzer circuit" etc but be aware that some are piezo diver circuit - ie, to drive an actual piezo element/speaker as opposed to a circuit that flashes an piezo buzzer. (A buzzer should be a piezo complete with 1kHz or 3kHz etc astable driver circuit.)
If not into circuit construction, then it's as Howie II suggested.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic