icon

diy motorhome project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steve4cr 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, I am Steve and I recently purchased a new RV. I have over 25 years experience in low voltage& PBX, data installations. I know home security systems fairly well and have installed and maintained my house system for years. I am familiar with 12 volt tools, wiring, etc.
I am looking at ideas for a security system for a 2007 Ford E450 Class C RV. I have thought of using a home alarm with wireless zones or a 12 volt auto system.
Looking for ideas or perhaps someone who has done this before.
I am not familiar with car security and I see that most alarm vendors do not include a manual. I do not have issues cutting into the power door locks but am nervous about the lights & starter wires.
A local dealer quoted over $400 to do it.
I need:
-A door sensor on the coach door
-A motion sensor in the RV basement (large storage area with 3 doors    with cheap cam locks)
-A shock sensor located somewhere on the motorhome coach
-A siren
Optional:
-Key fob for power door locks and arm/disarm
-Lights blinking when alarm goes off and arm/disarm
Any and all ideas, suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
Some thoughts.
Assuming security rather than security and remote start.
First $400 for a motor home, assuming supply and fit and decent product, Avox/Prestige/Code, Compustar, DEI.
Bite their hands off.
Have you any idea of the labour required? Car equipment tends to be wired rather than wireless.
Nothing against home sensors but weather, shock and vibration proof?
I don't think so.
A door sensor on the coach door. Does it have any lighting e.g. dome light that comes on when you open that door? That's your door entry trigger.
Motion sensor in the basement is a waste of time once you fill that area, pin switches on each door and upgrade the locks.
Shock sensor would be a waste of time on a vehicle that size, better off with motion sensors, one for each area.
All alarms from the above manufacturers include sirens, key fobs and light blinks for arm disarm.
steve4cr 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Some thoughts.
Assuming security rather than security and remote start.
First $400 for a motor home, assuming supply and fit and decent product, Avox/Prestige/Code, Compustar, DEI.
Bite their hands off.
No remote start needed. $400 for low end Viper.
What do you mean by Bite their hands off
Have you any idea of the labor required?
Labor will be by me, I ran the cable for the remote sensor on my last RV and it worked quite well.
Car equipment tends to be wired rather than wireless.
Nothing against home sensors but weather, shock and vibration proof?
I don't think so.
Good point I am in AZ and the heat may affect it
A door sensor on the coach door. Does it have any lighting e.g. dome light that comes on when you open that door? That's your door entry trigger.
No light just an door on a piano hinge door.
Motion sensor in the basement is a waste of time once you fill that area, pin switches on each door and upgrade the locks.
Good point, but the area does not get that full during storage.
Shock sensor would be a waste of time on a vehicle that size, better off with motion sensors, one for each area.
I had a shock sensor screwed to the inside of my fridge compartment on my last motorhome and it worked quite well
All alarms from the above manufacturers include sirens, key fobs and light blinks for arm disarm.
The $400 quote was for a low end Viper.
I see it for around $60 and the sensors about $30-40 so looks like $300+ for labor (he said 2-3 hours)
Trying to do a DIY project. Thank you for your input. I am just starting out on this and may go with a professional install if it is too involved
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
Then go for it, "bite their hands off", English expression, I thought used in N. America as well it means grab their offer.
Having said that no way are they going to do a decent job in 2-3 hours.
Did a full size Winnie over here about 10 years ago plus rear camera etc.
Can't even want to remember how long it took two of us.
Summing up I take your point you'd probably do a better job yourself, any questions just ask!
Remember to test then solder everything. Sure you know about joint sealing. Use shrink sleeving where possible, other wise wrap soldered joints with Scotch 33+.
Try the motion sensor underneath as you say it might work. I also take your point about shock sensors.
Pin switch on the closing side of the door should be adequate.
Just a couple of points more:-
Put switches on some of the sensors, that will give you zones so the main alarm can be kept on at night but you can still move around the interior.
You won't need an expensive Alarm, Code 1153 or Viper equivalent is more than adequate, I use that Code all the time as an entry level and for commercials.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Viper 3305 is worth looking at, 2 way LCD remote.
steve4cr 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Howie
I have some questions. Sorry if they are stupid but my background is telephones, paging, networking, home security.
If the alarm supports 1 remote sensor (lets say a shock sensor), can you tie 2 together like the motion sensor and the shock sensor? Or, do you need a system with 2 remote sensor inputs?
Viper 3305 2 way. I don't think I need 2 way. I know 2 way is the alarm alerts the remote, but how does it reach the remote? GSM?
Not concerned about the zones as I live in AZ and my main security system is a .45 ACP.
Again thank you very much for you assistance.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately your last line is rather impractical in the UK, I use German Shepherds.
Yes you can use multiples, parallel wiring and 1N4004 diodes on all trigger wires, relay * power and ground on more than two sensors.
* A 5 amp pcb mini is more than adequate.
Viper do an "entry level" though I think the aforementioned Code is better, built in lock relays for instance.
steve4cr 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you again.
Would this be wiring diagrams for the 2 sensor setup?
https://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2014 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have done many RV's, I have a class A Infinity 33SL myself. Use a car alarm with keyless entry for sure. This way you just get out and press lock to arm it all, simple.
What you have is an E class Ford chassis under the dash and it is a very easy chassis to install in. The knee bolster just pops off and gives you the ignition wires, the front triggers/locks/lights are all in the drivers KP. The hardest part will be to run a triggers to the RV side door, which I use mostly magnet switches for. Use magnet switches for the basement doors also, motion sounds great but are more prone to falsing. If you are going to use a motion sensor at all, use it for the interior.
Also, I have connected many sensor triggers together before with no issues. You can diode isolate if you want but I have never found it needed. Reality is you shouldn't need more than a shock sensor up front and maybe a motion in the back...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2014 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input Mike, magnetic reed switches just never occurred to me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic