icon

Amp Cooling Fans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xplocivic 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2003 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

Just looking for a little creative input here.  I'm currently running a Kenwood KDC-929 (1000W max) amp to two Rockford-Fosgate 10" HE2's (DVC subs).  Currently I'm running them at 2 ohms stereo.  Well, I have a black Honda Civic with my amp mounted to the back seat.  Even with the amp's internal cooling fan, on hot days, it goes into thermal.  If I go to 4 ohms stereo, I believe that it may help the problem, but I'd like to stay at 2 ohms.  Today I got 2 12VDC fans that are about 4inchx4inch and my amp is about 12 inches wide.  My original idea was to put a fan on one side of the cooling fins pushing air across with the other fan on the other side to pull the air across.  I can also but both fans on one side next to eachother to push twice the amount of air.  Which method do you guys (gals) think would be the best method. And any ideas on a creative mounting, maybe even using FG to hide the fans, cause they aren't the prettiest things you've seen (look like little black box fans).  Any ideas are welcome.  Thanks.

djmt99 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2003 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

Your trunk is small airspace. The push/pull idea is good, but not in a small area. I'd suggest the dual-push method. That's what I did to an install in an old lumina. The amp was mounted to the box, and I fabricated a piece of steel to mount to the box, then the fans were mounted at a perfect 90` aiming directly at the amp. Solved the thermal shut-down problem like a charm.

- jt

Xplocivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2003 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks.  So you think I should aim the fans directly at the cooling fins, or have the fans push the air across the fins, lengthwise?  It might look cooler with the fans mounted above the amp.  I never thought of that way.
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
I use a push/pull configuration in my S10 with a 1500bd in an enclosed amp rack with 4 antec cooling fans. (2 pull at the bottom of the box and 2 push at the top) I agree that a dual push is a better option in your case. I drive with my windows open most of the time, so I have a ton of fresh air coming in all the time, but in your ride, it doesn't work so much like that. I would build the steel brackets for the fans and have them blow across the top of the 929 so it doesn't conflict with the amp's internal fan.
     What fans did you get? If you got ones that we carry, I can help you out with dimensions and fabricating the brackets.
Cary
Xplocivic 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

Here's a pic of the fans that I got. I got them from Radio Shack, couldn't really think of anywhere else to go. They are 4"x4"

Amp Cooling Fans - Last Post -- posted image.

Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Dude, we sell them!! They're in computers and we get a rockin' discount on them! Anyways, I would hit your local home depot or lowes and pick up either some window mounting brackets or just some sheet metal and use a Dremel to cut your brackets. Use machine screws with bolts to mount them to the brackets and hot glue the brackets to the box.
Cary

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic