icon

need relay for drl operation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fordfan73 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to make my truck's turn signals into daytime driving lamps(like the amber DRL as opposed to lower power headlamps). Many vehicles are doing this now and are obviously computer controled. I need a relay that will give contant power(when ignition on) to the turn signal bulb UNTIL the actual left or right turn signal is engaged. At that time, the relay should sense the power from the turn signal module and switch feed from the constant power to the turn signal feed. Since the turn signal feed is intermittent to make it blink, the relay would need a one second delay so that it doesn't bounce back and forth in the off-cycles of the turn signal operation. I am unfamiliar with relay designations...can anyone suggest a particular relay? Thanks!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2014 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
There is no relay per se.
You need a typical combined aka "single filament" brake/flasher (or reverse/flasher) circuit.
exledusa.com have "TPC" modules but they are for LEDs (tho relays could be added) and there are various trailer adapters that perform similar function.
Some have used "raw" delays - eg, a diode & capacitor feeding a relay as per Pulsed to Steady Output (Turn signal output to steady output for duration of turn signal) but that IMO is somewhat brutish (because of the large cap required - I'd rather an electronic circuit for less loading on taped circuit & a smaller cap etc).
Relay-only solutions (DPDT) require the flasher can to be AFTER the left-right switch (the relay siwtches the can).
fordfan73 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for that info...i will explore that further.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 09, 2014 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
What is the year/make/model of the vehicle?
Do you have any idea how your turn signal circuit works? Is it an "old school" system that goes switch, flasher, bulb or is it an electronic version that goes switch, BCM, BCM, bulb?
If you can tap a turn signal signal BEFORE the flasher you can use a standard SPDT relay per bulb and use the constant turn signal signal to energize the relay to convert the signal back to OEM control.
Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2014 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
That's the problem. Cars with individual left/right flashers have the flasher can before the switch. And for those that don't like to touch that there's the exledusa or trailer modules.
But I think there was another pre-switch can solution - it's just that I can't remember it.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2014 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Looking at the OP's screenname, "fordfan73", I presume this is a 73 Ford? If so, 73 Fords have a single turn sig flasher, before the switch.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic