the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

help: adding multi-chan amp for my spkrs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
allyourblood 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

hi, all. i've just got into this whole car-audio thing (wicked-fun!), and need a little help. my current setup is: '97 Civic, Sony CDX-MP40 head unit, "220 watt" 6.5" 3-way Xplods in the front, "240 watt" 6x9 3 way Xplods in the rear. now, i'm under the impression i will be using 2 amps soon, and here's why: ideally, i'd like to use a 4ch amp to power my full-ranges, and run that for a while. in the future, i'd like to add an additional amp to power a couple subs. that'll be a big deal, but i won't worry about that today. here's where i'm lost....

i'd like to have everyone's input on what amp i should use to power all 4 of my Xplods. i've heard that it's best to use one which pushes each speaker near it's RMS rating (which would be 50 watts per channel). do i need one that runs at 4x50, or is that not as important as i've been led to believe? what amp should i buy, and why? and while i'm here, begging information, what other accessories will i need (ie: cables, kits, etc.)? i am 100% green in this field, so i have no idea where to start. i'm not looking to spend a pile, so creative and cost-effective ideas are key, but i do want loud and clear sound. (and please don't harp on my speakers; since i've had them, they've sounded gorgeous). thanks very much for any and all replies.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
Based on your specs, I'm assuming you have XS-V1633's (50RMS 220Peak) up front and XS-V6933's (50RMS 240Peak) in the rear.
Matching the RMS is always a great base rule to start with (that and matching the ohms). But, as with all speakers you can get a higher power amplifier as long as the Max Power Output is not higher than the Peak rating of the speaker. Matching the RMS is "safest" road to take, but not the only one help: adding multi-chan amp for my spkrs? -- posted image. In your case, you could probably go with a 100 x 4 amp and still be safe.
Were you looking at any particular brand of amps? There's alot of them out there!
If the amp doesn't come with one (and it probably wont), the easiest thing to do is to invest in an Amplifier Installation kit. You can get them in 10, 8, 4, etc... gauges, and they have everything you need to install an amplifier (power wire, inline fuse, ground wire, speaker wire, remote wire, and some even have butt-splices as well).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
allyourblood 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  

> Based on your specs, I'm assuming you have XS-V1633's (50RMS 220Peak) up front and XS-V6933's (50RMS 240Peak) in the rear.

that's absolutely right.

> Were you looking at any particular brand of amps? There's alot of them out there!

actually, i'm completely undecided as to which amp is for me. i'm not looking to go super-cheap (ie: i plan to steer clear of all swap meet brands), and despite my speaker/HU purchases, i don't think i'll go with Sony for an amp (curse me for finding this forum AFTER the fact). anything reputable is fine. that's where you folks come in. i'm gonna pretty much go with mob rule, as long as it doesn't break the bank (for reference, i'll most likely be buying from Ebay, as the prices seem to be quite reasonable compared to any nearby brick'n'mortars. i'll also confess i'm looking to spend 200 or less, if at all possible). i've not seen much discussion regarding running amps strictly for full-range speakers (ie, without a sub). then again, i'm a newb, so maybe i just haven't searched enough.

for that matter, do you think i will get noticeable results with a 4ch amp? i don't necessarily need gobs of bass (yet!). i just want to push my speakers to the max with the least amount of distortion, and the highest volume. from what i've read, my HU is sending but a paltry few watts, and ugly ones at that (at least at high volumes).

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
23.2 x 4 to be exact (the CDX-MP40) help: adding multi-chan amp for my spkrs? -- posted image. You'll get good results with a 4-channel amp, I think you'll deffinately notice a difference. For a reasonable priced amp, I'd suggest something like the Kenwood KAC-849, MTX Thunder684, MTX Thunder1004, or Phoenix Gold Tantrum 600.1
I'm not endorsing any of those amps (since I'm not in retail of a professional installer), but they are a few of the 4-channel amps that I have seen around and read about. As with just about all 4-channel amps they get over-rated. You see the tag saying 600 watts and think "cool, that's about 150 x 4". But then you read the fine print and see "rated at 14.4volts" or "Maximum Power 600x1@4ohms (bridged)". Which really means about 50-75 x 4 @ 4ohms (if your lucky enough to get that) being run from a 12volt system. It sucks because you feel like you're getting robbed!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
allyourblood 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

the Kenwood looks about right, both in power and price. thanks squirrel. anyone else have any suggestions?

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

Yea I think you'll be happy with the Kenwood.  Here's a really good starting page from Crutchfield that'll help you with the basics of installing it, assuming that's what you intend to do?  I couldn't really tell from your post if you just meant you're new to car audio in general, or new to the idea of doing it yourself.  Regardless it gives some pretty helpful info.  Definitely give it a read.  http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/S-oTy9TlDqEY0/amplifiers_install.html

Definitely try to get the amp kit on ebay cuz you'll save a whole BUNCH of money.  Retailers mark those up so incredibly much and it's in these types of products (and most accessories in general) that they really make all their money.  Just make sure you get something decent.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure to get an 8 guage amp kit (a 10 guage would work, but you would be stretching its capacity at 4 x 50 rms).  Some of those kits come with RCAs already in them, but most of the time they have almost no noise shielding.  Even with entry level equipment I would still invest in a decent set of RCAs.

If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic