icon

which resistor? 12v to 10v

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jkoppel 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2014 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Im needing to reduce a 12v line to 10v, can someone please tell what what resistor I need?
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 09, 2014 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of device are you trying to power?
jkoppel 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2014 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Long story...
Im installing a remote starter on my motorbike. The bike has a anti-hotwire function which uses a 10v line connected directly to the ignition contacts which goes to the ECU. When a key is inserted and turned the 10v signal reaches the ECU, verifying that a key has been used, and in turn allows the engine to start.
The remote start system uses a 12v signal tapped into the starter line. SO I am needing to 'replicate' the 10v security line so that the ECU will allow the starter work. So basically its a constant 10v signal going to the ECU.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2014 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.raltron.com/cust/tools/voltage_divider.asp
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Posted: November 09, 2014 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on the current draw of the input wire it may take some adjustments. Get a 1000 ohm and a 330 ohm resistor. Make a series circuit with these 2 devices. Connect the 1000 ohm resistor to ground. Connect the 330 ohm resistor to power. The junction point will be around 10 volts. The demands of the wire in question may pull the voltage down a bit. Let me know the voltage reading on the junction under an attempted start situation and I can tell you how to adjust the values to get the 10 volts.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: November 09, 2014 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
A voltage divider circuit relies on the input voltage to determine the output voltage. Depending on how accurate the 10vdc line must be a voltage divider may not be precise enough. I would look in to a LDO 7810 voltage regulator. It will be very accurate across a range of voltages.
Kevin Pierson
jkoppel 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies. I am trying a voltage regulator... Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic