icon

94 camaro z8 compustar remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bat9905 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
I recently did a remote start alarm in a 1994 camaro manual trasmission . i put in a cm4200 brain with lcd remote. Alarm works fine and remote start works but we noticed that blower is not working in remote start mode .
As soon as you put the key in it works. I would have to look at wiring to determine connections. I tested all wires with multimeter along with wiring info. The owner of the car said he blew a coolant hose. he lost all of his coolant.   A waterpump was recenlty installed on a side note. He claims that since the blower was not working while it was running in remote start mode that the waterpump and engine fan was not working which caused the over heating. it is also 30 degrees currently where we are if that helps any. could anyone confirm his suspicion as being correct. Please help
bat9905
bat9905 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
Could it have another acc wire besides Orange wire?
bat9905
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
So your the installer and the lesson is test things before giving them back to the customer.
Unless the water pump is electric then you could not have caused the overheating. The guy's waterpump went out and it alone was the cause of the overheat but of course the customer sees your bad install combined with his expensive repair bill and presumes there's a link.
As far as your original question, there's an ignition wire that powers the blower that you didn't hook up. Once you hook it up things will work.
bat9905 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
Tough to argue that . Should've tested blower . It was installed when it was much warmer. I wasn't notified of the issue until it was to late . I'll be checking into it this am . I tapped pink wire for ignition and tested for other ignition . This seemed to be the only one in harness . My familiarity lays with prestige audiovox which ignition 1 blue and ignition 2 blue . I'll find out soon enough if it was my fault. The only good thing is it was a friends car
bat9905
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
bat9905 wrote:
Could it have another acc wire besides Orange wire?
I think you powered the brown wire but not the orange, based on what you're describing happened.
The orange wire is hot in RUN. In the 94 Camaro it powers HVAC, air bags, back-up lights, and a few other things including the electric radiator cooling fans. If the HVAC wasn't working with the RS until key take over, then the cooling fans weren't either. And the RS installation was responsible for the overheat because the cooling fans were inoperative until key takeover.
The orange wire should be thought of as IGN 2, rather than an accy because it is powered in RUN, but not ACCY. I think it may be thought of as an "accy" by some installers because it isn't powered in START, which is true of "accy" circuits. But the orange wire in late GM's is as important as the pink wire.
In the Camaro, (and many GM's of the 90's) The brown ACCY wire powers the radio, wipers, and sometimes other systems (cruise control) not critical to being powered in an unoccupied vehicle. I always power the orange wire, but not always the brown wire.
The orange wire has powered the HVAC blower since at least the mid 80's, and in later, more complex GM's, powers systems critical to engine operation. Such as electric cooling fans.
Thanks for posting. This gives food for thought. Like deliver RS systems with the run-time programmed for shortest duration. And be sure cooling fans are operational.
bat9905 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
davep. you were dead right. I used wiring info here for this car and it shows orange wire as accesory. i powered brown wire for accy. thinking back on install there was no orange wire in ignition wires cluster running to switch so i just figured powering pink igniton in car and brown was what it needed. the radiator is cracked . ill be replacing it since if feel i may be responsibile for it .   ive done 40 or more remote starts successfully but i effed this one up.
bat9905
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
I still think that the camaro shouldn't have overheated in that short of time span-there probably was a problem with the cooling system and not the fault of the remote start.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2014 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
bat9905 wrote:
the radiator is cracked . ill be replacing it since if feel i may be responsible for it .
The 90's era GM plastic tank radiators are notorious for cracking after a fairly long service life. I've had a couple in my personal cars crack, with the miles in service approaching 200,000. The "hot side" tank cracks on the opposite side of where the upper hose connects to the tank.
If the Camaro's tank cracked in this area, and it has high miles as well, this is a 'normal' age problem. The lack of cooling fans accelerated the event, but probably not by much. It was going to happen soon anyway.
You mention that the owner is a friend. If the crack and conditions match the characteristics I describe above for the 'normal' age failure, the crack isn't really your fault. Maybe he'll be reasonable, pay to get his car fixed, and let you buy him lunch or something. Then go back to the shop and connect the orange wire as an ACCY-2 wire.
Cheers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic