icon

failed imobillizer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
captcorvette 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2014 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2003 Dodge Durango 5.9 hemi. Have the two original keys and the remote. Remote will lock and unlock the doors and cancel the alarm. However when attempting to start the car it will start then shut off within a few seconds. Have called every "key" company within 150 kms to sort this issue out. Two have tried and failed. They have given up.
I tried to take the car to the local agency but they will not accept vehicles older than 8 years so no help there.
The "key" programmer people say the immobilizer has failed. I hate to scrap a car just because of a little plastic box with a PCB in it that is malfunctioning.
Any suggestions other than the obvious one of teaching the car to swim and watching it sink?
Thank you for letting me vent a bit.
Regards,
Capt.
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2014 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
When you say the key company tried and failed, do you mean that they tried programming the keys to the vehicle?
I'm guessing by "agency" you were referring to the dealership (Chrysler/Dodge)?
Either way, it's very unusual for these Chrysler cars to all of a sudden lose programming of the keys. I think something may be malfunctioning. Did you recently have work done on the car?
Also, I'm not sure if it applies to this Durango, but certain Chrysler vehicles if you try starting with a deprogrammed key more than a few times, it will brick one of the control modules (can't remember what it's called). Then reprogramming won't work until you replace that module.
Have you looked in the Chrysler/Dodge/Durango forums for anything similar?
captcorvette 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2014 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
No one even tried the keys. It was the imobillizer they were trying to repair and or restore the program for it.
Found a reference a while back where Chrysler had admitted that the 2003 had issues with the electrics and in specific the remote, immobilizer and switches. Think I still have the article but is was information only and of no help.
I have bypassed Chevrolet cars (my specialty) with various products in the past. Mostly for local authorities, banks etc.. But cannot find anything like the products used for Chrysler. The Ohms pellet in the chevy seems like it is much simpler.
Thanks again for the reply.
best,
Capt.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2014 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have an old note on my computer stating that a certain production run of 2003 and 2004 Durangos built before May 17, 2014, had a problem wherein the vehicle's WCM module was defective and didn't allow more than 2 keys to be programmed into it. The WCM module required to be replaced. Chrysler didn't do this unless the customer complained while under warranty. The new WCM part # was listed as 56038675AS but may have since changed up to a new number. This may not be the problem but I do remember it affecting some vehicles I tried to do remote starters on. It wouldn't allow any other RFID codes/Sentry keys to be added which the remote starter bypasses simulated.
Article ID: Q10018
Original URL: http://www.bypasskit.com/kb/article.aspx?id=10018
BYPASSKIT model# PKU-CH2 Transponder Override module is compatible with 2004 Dodge Durango.

A manufactures issue exists with Durango vehicles built before May 17 2004 and is covered under warranty. The WCM
module is defective and does not permit ANY additional RFID codes to be added to the vehicle. This includes new ignition
keys (Sentry keys). Instead of recalling all Durango's for this module swap Chrysler is only changing the WCM when a
Durango owner requests a new transponder key. The WCM does not affect any other functions so is not a mandatory swap
unless a new RFID is added. The PKU-CH2 supplies the vehicles with a RFID and thus must be programmed like a new key.
The WCM will allow additional RFID codes to be programmed if the Mfg date is after May 17th otherwise the original
WCM must be changed under warranty in order to program the PKU-CH2 to the Durango.
The WCM replacement part number is 56038675AS.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic