icon

avital 4103 trunk pop wont trigger popper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
heezy101 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 6:51 AM / IP Logged  
I got my Avital 4103 installed and working great in my '09 Civic LX. Since I have an LX I wanted to add a remote trunk popper for convenience. I had an extra 5 wire lock/unlock module in the garage so I installed it and wired it up. The popper needs a constant 12V+ and a switched Ground. I tested function to a fused 12V+ and clean Ground and it works flawlessly.
The issue is when I try to incorperate it in with the 4103. The install instructions for the 4103 say that the trunk pop circuit sends a -200mA signal. When hook that wire to the Ground side of the popper and push and hold the trunk pop button on my remote, it won't pop the trunk. I tested to make sure the 4103 is indeed providing a ground signal, and I can't get a clear reading on a meter.
I tried incorporating a relay into the circuit, thinking the -200mA wasn't enough to close the popper module. I tested everything with the relay in place and it worked great when I touch the ground pin to a clean Ground, just not when the ground pin is attached to the trunk pop wire off of the 4103.
I hope I'm missing something simple, as I'd really like to have this function working. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-Ryan
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Did you measure the amperage that the module needs to operate Before connecting the 4103 ? To make sure you were under the 200ma You may have fried the output.
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
did you hold for 3 seconds?
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
heezy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Chevy: I didn't consider that I may have fried the output with the module. I assumed it just wouldn't work if it didn't have enough amperage. That would also explain why I can't get a consistent output signal with a meter. I'll have to check into it further to make sure it's fried. Hopefully it's not!
Itsyuk: I did make sure I tried holding the button, double and triple tapping it, ect. Nothing will make it trigger.
Thank you both for your responses.
-Ryan
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
You fried the output, 500 milliamp trying to pull down 10 or so amps, oops. Needs a relay.
If you aren't aware of these factors, test!
I'm sure the install guide should mention the need for a relay.
heezy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
You fried the output, 500 milliamp trying to pull down 10 or so amps, oops. Needs a relay.
If you aren't aware of these factors, test!
I'm sure the install guide should mention the need for a relay.
You're right! I should have tested. The install instructions didn't list much about the trunk popper that I saw, but that's no excuse. You live and you learn!
Thanks for all of the information everyone!
heezy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Here is another question, can it be fixed? I don't have a problem soldiering on the board if I can swap out a component and fix it. Any input or direction there?
-Ryan
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Might be easier to use an aux output assuming it hasn't cooked up all the outputs, worry not there's probably no pro here who hasn't done it at one time or another.
heezy101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have any additional AUX outs to use. I did pull the board out of the case and found what I hurt. I'm pretty sure it's a resistor, black and rectangular labled "100". My research tells me that's a 100 ohm resistor. At 12v and 200mA I'd need a 2.4W resistor which seems high. I'm going to try and test to see how many volts are running through that circuit to get an accurate wattage and see if I can replace it.
Thanks for all the help and let me know if you have any advice for figuring out exactly what resistor I need.
-Ryan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic