the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote Starter Clicking While Running

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nightwish5000 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2015 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nightwish5000
Hey. Installed a Python 1600XP on 2006 Trailblazer today. Problem is a relay inside the unit keeps clicking driving down the road. Reprogrammed a few things and no change. No diagnostic code or bit writer problems. Installed another 1600XP and the same thing. Any Ideas? Been an installer for 20 years and have never seen this one.
Going for it!
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2015 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shafferny
When I first read your post, a few things come to mind.
First, I'd go back over all you connections to make sure everything is connected where it's supposed to be, especially since the problem replicated with another brain installed. That says to me the brain may not be faulty and it may be a connection.
Second, since it's happening as you're driving, the unit should be disarmed, therefore it shouldn't be doing anything.
Last, when you say the relay is clicking, do you mean it's clicking like a turn signal flasher, or it's chattering like a starter solenoid and a dead battery? Just trying to understand what it's doing.
One other thing you could try is testing the various unused outputs to see if any of them are putting out intermittent (-) or (+) signals that correspond with the clicking you're hearing.
Not sure any of that helps.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Check the voltage from you input fuses to your ground connection, only thing I can think of.
nightwish5000 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2015 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nightwish5000
12 volts to ground is good, even grounded to 2 separate locations. Unhooked all wiring and bench tested the unit. Only hooked up the basic wiring. Both units the light output relay is clicking like a turn signal and light wire is flashing my light tester. I have it programmed to flash for conformation of running. The Trailblazer has daytime running lights so you don't see the flashing on the outside of vehicle. On bench test I triggered the brake wire to shut unit down. It shut down and 10 seconds later the light relay starts clicking like a turn signal. All ignition output wires go to 0- volts when I trigger the brake shut down. This unit has a neutral safety wire that must go to 0-volt to remote start, the instructions say it can be grounded all the time if your vehicle will not start in gear. Does it need the neutral safety wire hooked to the switch to completely shut down the unit?
Going for it!
nightwish5000 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nightwish5000
I have installed many of the Python 1400XP remote starters. The 1600XP has alarm system added. Maybe the neutral safety wire needs to see 0-volts and then no connection when put in drive to shut the unit down completely. I have checked all my connections several times. If I program the unit for solid light output on run conformation the light output wire still comes on 10 seconds later which stops the clicking. but I don't want to leave the car this way because I know something is not right. Customer is bringing the car back this Friday at my request so I can try to figure it out. Nothing on the DEI website about the problem and I have found DEI install manuals to be a little unclear at times, like on the neutral safety wire.
Going for it!
nightwish5000 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2015 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nightwish5000
I checked my brake shutdown wire several times, it's ok. But get this, I remote start and turn ignition on with the key and then open the hood and close and the clicking stops. So I rechecked my brake wire again and looked for a another wire on the brake switch to use. Brake wire is correct.
Going for it!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
If the neutral safety isn't grounded, either through a parking brake (manual) or direct to ground (auto) you won't get the remote start to work so it's nothing to do with that.
Two thoughts.
Turn light flash completely off during remote start.
Could the ignition input/output be incorrect?
Have you connected a siren? I bet it's the alarm part triggering.
If you have connected a siren that might go off to prove what I'm saying.
nightwish5000 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2015 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nightwish5000
Siren output not making siren go off. Clicking is coming from the light output relay. Ignition wires checked again and they are correct. Programmed to no light flash. That stops the clicking. But bench test shows light wire comes back on. Customer wants lights to flash. I could program to lights on solid during run conformation and put a turn signal flasher inline. But I still know something is not right and I'm kind of anal about things being perfect. This may be an install that just does not satisfy my perfection, But the customer is 100% satisfied. Still Playing around with it but not much left to do. It's not the car because both units I have do the same thing on bench test. I really appreciate all of your help though!
Going for it!
shark mobile 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shark mobile
Disconnect the hood switch...road test...had a hood switch that was just a few millimetres shy of perfect and every time the customer drove it caused the brain to activate and clicked the park lights on and off while driving...Hondas tend to be the worst with their super light hoods...hope that helps.
Solder, tape, repeat!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic