1996 Opel Vauxhaul Astra Deadlock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chassis 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Good day
I was wondering if one of my 12volt friends can assist me.an old friend of mine just phoned me to tell me he is standing outside I must come out.I found it very strange to find out that the guy cannot get out of his vehicle battling to het his door lock knobs up with plyers.I then realise that it can only be the deadlock that kicked in.I don't have much knowledge with deadlocks.I think he locked the door twice.what can I do to help this gentlemen.1996 Opel Vauxhaul Astra Deadlock -- posted image.
Do it once,do it right - This means no short cuts. You never get paid twice for having to do the job twice because it wasn't done right the first time.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
I cannot find any information on opening the deadlock on the net.
Do it once,do it right - This means no short cuts. You never get paid twice for having to do the job twice because it wasn't done right the first time.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
I originally replied thinking it was a newer deadlock - ie, electrical only; 2 presses of the remote lock.
But from what I understand, the '96 Astra has a key deadlock on the drivers door (as the failsafe in case the electrics fail) as well as the electric function.
I was going to say simply reverse the procedure that deadlocked him in.
If it's a case of flat batteries (whether remote or car), then bad luck, that's what the driver's key is for, and welcome to the modern world where car security seems more important than occupant life.
The door lock knobs should have no effect; deadlocks defeat those (obvioulsy).
Try jumping the car battery if it's the problem (starter motor may be the easiest access) else replace the keyfob (battery) and relearn, or strip door trims in the hope of getting to suitable electricals or mechanicals.
Alas the latter may need a window breakage.
He's not still locked in the car is he?
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Lol no,the car is parked with the driver window open in his garage.he took a bus to work today.he had cut a new key and he glued the old keys chip to the igniton.does the keyswitch in the door perhaps need the chip signal to disable the deadlock? Nothing happends when I try to unlock with the new key.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
If we press the aftermarket remote to lock or unlock,it moves a lil bit but stays lock.the guy uses the driver window to enter and exit.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know - I'd be web searching the same as you.
The door key should be (IMO) mechanical only - it's a mechanical failsafe.
Dare I guess the mechanical key hasn't worked for a while, or a lock hasn't worked for a while, and rather than get it fixed the owner has used the alternate entry methods?
Oh well, that's what happens when you fail to maintain the redundancy in redundant systems.
Maybe INOX or other sprays (WD40 etc) may unseize frozen parts.
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
Apperntly he turn they the wrong directions to open,he closed twice instead of opening which probably (activated the deadlock)I doubt the locks failed,as all 4door doors cannot open,the knobs is permanently down,it only comes 2mm's up,and goes back down.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
Opening twice should unlock & deactivate...
chassis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ok,then there should be a fault with driver switch then.thanks alot
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
Noting that I am assuming based on traditional mechanical deadlocks (domestic etc) and what I've read re automotive remote-fob deadlocks.
And/but as I understand it, the Astra drivers door should mechanically undeadlock the driver's door. And its switch should electrically unlock all as should the passenger side, tho whether that needs chipped key I don't know (maybe the chip is for alarm disarm and IGN on etc).
And for once, admiration to Mercedes who don't have these problems...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic