icon

latching relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackimpala 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
I am Installing an A/c compressor in my car, I want it to come on with a switch and turn off when power is removed from it. Then the next time I start the car the compressor will stay off until I turn it on again with the switch. Would a 'Latching Relay' do this? If not what am I looking for.
I am sure I didn't state clearly but hope it is understandable.
( the compressor clutch)
Floyd
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2015 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Is the A/C compressor being used for the climate controls.. A/C and heat? Most systems have a pressure switch which allow compressor operation between a low and high limit. It isn't wise to allow the compressor to operate uncontrolled, which is why they have the high limit. But if it's not being used in that application, search VW latching relay.
Mark
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
See my latching relay as per on/off latching circuit with 2 relays.
The diodes are not required if the switch handles the load current (until the relay closes).
The Fused +12V would be your normal supply to the a/c switch (ie, ign +12V).
The N.O. push to turn off is only needed if you want to turn it off without removing the input Fused +12V.
And as Ween suggested, I'm assuming this is for the "master" a/c enable circuit - not the compressor itself - hence all pressure switches, idle-speed drop outs, cycle delays, etc, continue to operate normally.
blackimpala 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your replays.
OK i thought it might require more explanation. This an add on compressor, I have converted it to an air compressor for air suspension. It has a pressure switch at the air tank. I want it to turn off when I shut off the engine but next time I start the car it will stay off until I manually turn it on with a switch.
Thanks
Floyd
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the clarification. Ween & I saw "A/c compressor" and assumed it was for an aircon.
The diagram I linked - namely...
latching relay? -- posted image.
... will work fine but with a few provisos...
Keep both diodes unless the ON switch can handle the compressor current. Hence the switch and its wiring need only be rated for the relay's coil current.
If you don't want to be able to manually turn off the compressor (with IGN still on) the OFF switch can be omitted - ie, merely have the "feedback" wire with diode.
The +12V input needs to be IGN switched. (If it's to constant battery +12V it won't turn off.) That may require an (extra) IGN +12V relay (with fuse) if existing sources can't handle the compressor current.
FYI - the ON switch's dashed wiring to "+12V" was dashed for simplification. In its original form (ie, as per here; Reply #7) the ON switch's +12V could be from another source - eg, HU remote output or other enabling circuit.
There are alternative circuits which IMO are more attractive if the additional 2nd relay is needed (I dislike using multiple relays for what I consider to be single relay circuits... or paraphrased, I prefer using solidstate circuitry for logic and leaving only using relays to handle the power switching), but that latching relay circuit is simple and suited for non-electronic DIY types. (FYI - I originally devised it for a water pump after only finding equivalent circuits that used totally unnecessary additional electronics!)
blackimpala 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your reply. I think that is what I was looking for.
Floyd
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Never mind. I didn't see the requirement ot turn it off with the IGN still on.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2015 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I think davep is doing my trick and confusing threads.
Besides, turning off with IGN still on was/is not a requirement.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic