the12volt.com spacer
icon

R/S for 08 Odyssey Prestige APS997E & ADS-DL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crank2hi 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crank2hi
I am planning a R/S install on my 08 Honda Odyssey. I have spent a lot of time doing the research and learning about the bypass module and how it integrates with the remote start.
I will be using the Prestige APS997E and the iDatalink ADS-DL module. I am planning to use the 2 way data mode (not W2W).
I have couple of questions:
1) Can anyone confirm if the ADS-DL should be flashed with the firmware DL-HA1 for my 08 Honda Odyssey?
2) When you buy the ADS-DL unit, does it come with the data cable that connects from the ADS-DL to the R/S, or it needs to bought separately?
3) Does the ADS-DL unit in data mode provide brake switch signal for shutdown (pressing brake pedal signal), or it needs to be hard wired to the R/S?
4) According to the Prestige APS-997E install guide, the R/S default data mode is DBI, and the installer need to program the Bank 2 / #18 option to ADS Protocol (which it claims to support).
Wondering if anyone have experience with this alarm and can confirm it works fine in ADS protocol mode, especially the Tach output via data?
5) I plan on controlling the 2 sliding doors with the Prestige remote. (I don't have power liftgate). The APS007E is a 7 channel alarm. The install manual seem to show Chan 1 to 4 are preprogrammed. I am thinking I will use Ch 3 (Trunk) for one of the slide door, and Ch 4 (Option 1) for the other slide door. According to the ADS-DL-HA1 intall guide wiring diagram, the W2W mode do support 'LEFT SLIDING DOOR INPUT - purple / YELLOW', and 'RIGHT SLIDING DOOR INPUT - PURPLE / black'.
- Are these two input on the ADS-DL to control the opening and closing of the slide doors?
- If these two wires are for control of open/close slide door, but I am using Data mode, are these W2W input on the ADS-DL still active and should be hard wired to my R/S?
- If they these 2 wires don't work like that, then how should I connect the R/S so I have remote control of the slide doors?
6) This is related to the previous question. If I program the ADS-DL for Data mode, then does it mean all the hardwire connection on the ADS-DL cannot be used?
7) The APS-997E has 4 Tach input options (program option Bank 3 # 5): Voltage / Tach / DBI Tach / Hybrid. I am guessing if I am using data mode on the ADS-DL, then the APS-997E should be set to 'DBI Tach' mode, since this is the only mode that is for data, but because it doesn't explicitly say ADS, I am not sure if this will be the correct setting.
Thanks for your help on this.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2015 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
1) You require the DBI-DL-HA1 firmware. DBI is the protocol for prestige.
2) If you have a model from late 2013+ it will include the DBI data harness.
3) You must hardwire your Brake signal from the Prestige to the car.
4) Leave it for DBI according to number 1. Follow this guide http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/DL-HA1/DBI-DL-HA1-EN_20140813.pdf
5) The vehicle still has an electronic pop i believe if you choose to hardwire. Through data aux 1 is left sliding door, aux 2 is right door by default.
6) You can flash it for data use, but select a w2w or d2d install during final-in vehicle programming. If using d2d, inputs are not functional, but any outputs from the ADS will still work.
7) DBI tach
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2015 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Chris Luongo
I agree with most of what tedmond said (he's really smart!) but disagree about a couple of things.
1. I think that's right.
2. The iDatalink-branded (in orange box) will come with a data-to-data cable that's compatible with Compustar and some others. Audiovox uses its own unique connector.
So the short answer is no, what's in the box will not plug in.
If you (or a friend) is a professional installer with spare parts laying around, it wouldn't be too hard to dig up a 4-pin connector that fits the 997E, then cut off one end of the ADS cable and splice onto what you have. I have done this before.
What I would do is just try to get a Flashlogic FLDL1 or FLCAN. They come with the correct cable. FLDL1 is a little cheaper and does a limited number of cars. FLCAN costs more and can be reflashed to do many different cars---good if you think you will change cars in the future and you might want to remove your system and put it in the new car.
3. They don't pick up brake signal from the car's databus on your car. Hardwire Prestige BROWN / black direct to the WHITE/ black in the car. (NOTE: There are some wire bundles right near the brake switch, and there are two WHITE/ blacks in there. One is brake; test carefully.)
4. Yes, the new Audiovox units can switch between DBI and ADS which is nice. DBI never worked right when it came out, and after years and years they finally decided to do their job and have it actually work.....so I don't see much need for them to add the second protocol now. They should have done it five years ago, though.
So anyway....the orange-box ADS products cannot be flashed for DBI. So you'll have to switch the Prestige over to ADS. The ADS protocol should work better.
I haven't tried the combination of products you have in mind, but I think it should work just fine.
5. I would do it differently.
Channel 4 is really best suited for rear defrost----during remote start, it can only be used one time and that's it. So if the remote starter is on and you use the remote to open the sliding door, and then you try to use the remote to close it again, it won't work.
Channel 3 (trunk) you might want to use. It's permanently shared with the remote-start button (can't be changed) and you use it by holding the remote-start button for 4 seconds....it's a long time.
So, you've got those extra channels 5, 6, and 7, right? Ok here's what I would do:
Channels 3 AND 5 to one of the sliding door inputs on the bypass (I will explain why both)
Channel 6 to the other sliding door input on the bypass
You'll have to first de-program and then re-program the remotes to work the way you'll want.....
Program the remotes as follows:
A: Program channels 1-3 as normal---lock, unlock, remote start
B: Program channel 4 to some button combination you will never use---I use Lock and Unlock together.
C: On the one-way remote, program channel 5 to button #1. On the two-way remote, program channel 5 to two buttons you'd like to use at the same time to open one of the doors. Lock and Start together maybe?
D: On the one-way remote, program channel 6 to button #2, and on the two-way remote, again use two buttons that make sense to you. Maybe unlock and start together.
HOW IT WILL WORK: On the one-way remote, it's simple. Buttons 1 and 2 do your two sliding doors.
On the two-way remote, it's more complicated. For one door, you can choose to hold and press the trunk button, OR the two-button combination you programmed. For the other door, you've got your other two-button combination.
SUGGESTIONS: Envision the one-way remote while standing at the back of the car. You should make #1 do the left door, #2 do the right door. If you look at the OEM remote, that's the way they designed it too.
For the two-way remote, make the most convenient button combination do the door you use the most. (Maybe passenger door? It's by the sidewalk when parked; safer for kids.)
So, the van's driver could choose between the trunk or the two-button combo for the passenger slider, but must use the other two-button combination for the driver's slider. Not ideal, but the best you can do since the two-way remote doesn't have #1 and #2 buttons.
NOTE ABOUT AUDIOVOX REMOTE PROGRAMMING: It's frustrating. You won't get all the buttons right the first time or even the second or third time. It's noisy because the designers didn't put enough thought into the length of the chirp sounds during programming.
Either you should only connect horn and siren AFTER programming, or plan to complete your installation at home, but drive to some deserted place to reprogram the remotes.
6. Half and half. The folks at ADS won't let you use most of the inputs during data-to-data mode. Lock, unlock, ground-when-running are all disabled. It's stupid but that's how they did it.
However, the analog outputs still work when in data. So if you're having trouble with one of the outputs through data (door, tach, et cetera) you can still add that wire in analog while leaving the data cable in place.
7. Should be DBI tach no matter which data protocol you choose. This is just one of the many errors Audiovox includes in their manuals, at no extra charge.
crank2hi 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2015 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crank2hi
Thanks Tedmond and Chris for the information. Definitely good information to know before I get stuck in the middle of an install.
Chris,
As to the data cable between the 997E and ADS-DL. Is it the same cable between the Prestige and ADS, regardless I choose DBI or ADS protocol?
- I see someone on Ebay selling 'iDatalink Flashlogic DBI serial cable for D2D Prestige Code Alarm Pursuit' for $5. Is this what I need?
The picture is a 4 pin cable and the description says:
==============
ADS-HRN-DBI cables are used for Idatalink and Flashlogic modules (FLCAN, FLDL1, FLTB1, ALCA, ADS-TB, ADS-DL) These are for use with most audiovox, code alarm, pursuit and prestige remote starters.
==============
- Sounds like I can have the ADS-DL flash with DL-HA1 (ADS protocol) and just set the 997E to ADS protocol.
- Thanks for the detail information on the sliding door. Couple questions, if I did use the ADS-DL in W2W mode, are those 2 slide door input wires (purple / YELLOW & PURPLE / black) the ones used to connect to my Ch5/6 to do the open/close function?
- If I keep the ADS-DL in data mode, is the factory slide door pop trigger just a single wire that needs a negative pulse to open & close, so one wire for each side? Does anyone know what wire and location for the left and right slide door (if I choose to do hardwire it)?
- Just curious, would you happen to have the pinout for this data cable going from ADS to Prestige? I am guessing the main thing is to connect the correct (4) pins from one side to the other, or does the Prestige use some proprietary connector.
- By the way, for a DIY person like myself, I will be paying a small fee for the seller to flash the ADS-DL unit for me. After searching and reading lot of post on this forum, I really don't see much discussion about how most DIY are getting their Bypass module flashed. I know you can buy the flash cable online, but company such as iDatalink requires that you be a vendor to register. Any online search seem to only direct you to Autotoys.com which provide the service for a fee. So where are most people buying their bypass module and how they are getting them flashed?
- Since I am still in the planning stage, if you had to suggest any other 2 way remote starter with alarm function, and bypass module. Which combination would you suggest for my 08 Odyssey? I know there are LOTS of brands/models out there but just wanted to see what your thoughts are for a good, economical 2 way system that will play well together and make the install less painful.
Sorry for all the questions, but thanks again!
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2015 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
Adding onto Chris's post. Thanks I honestly think sometimes I'm not smart enough. There's going to be someone smarter than myself-that's for sure.
2. Chris is right about the Prestige DBI harness. It is a proprietary 4pin connector. The orange idatalink boxes are SOLO series, meaning the come preflashed and cover only a hand full of vehicles. It does not come with all the data cables, unless you have the idatlaink MULTI (green package) ADS-TB/DL/ALCA. Either of these come with the RED viper dbi cable. IF YOU CHOOSE to modify the red plug, you have to shave the top side down and it plugs right in the prestige.
OR use the ads 2 way protocol and you wont have to MacGyver, anything. Last option buy the FLCAN and you'll have everything necessary as Chris also mentioned.
4. The choice is yours according to number 2.
to flash you can buy the ads-usb and register to just do basic flashing. most online vendors charge a fee to flash, or hit up a local shop to see if they can do it for a small fee.
the compustar 2w703sh + FT-7000 is pretty pricey, but ton of features for the money. Best bang for the buck hard to determine. One ha their pros and cons to each. I only use compustar, but the Viper 5706 is popular on the forums.
Ted
Compustar Expert
crank2hi 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2015 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crank2hi
Ok, I have spent the last hour researching more on the FLCAN, and now have a better idea why you have recommended it. FLCAN uses DBI protocol and comes with the data cable to connect the FLCAN to the Prestige 997E.
I found a seller on Ebay selling new one for $52 (FlashLogic FLCAN Car Bypass For Alarm and Remote Start), and will flash it for $10.
So if I go with the FLCAN, and for a 2008 Odyssey, the firmware should be FLC-AL(DL)-HA1. So besides telling them my year/make/model, do I need to tell them that I will be using it on a Prestige APS-997E, or just flashing the FLCAN to FLC-AL(DL)-HA1 is all I need to do this install?
I ask because I also see FLCAN for CodeAlarm, so I don't know if there are anything specific to the FLCAN for each brand of R/S.
With regards to connecting the FLCAN for my vehicle, I see it ask to hardwire the E-Brake, and trunk status (in 2 way data mode). Is that necessary?
Again, thanks for educating me on this. You guys are really helping me a lot so I can do this install right.
crank2hi 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crank2hi
I just want to give an update. Last night I got everything installed and working. The R/S is the Prestige 997E, and for bypass, I got the FLCAN. I am using the D2D mode between the two. The 2 sliding doors will open/close remotely via the FLCAN hardwire. It works even while car is running. Hardwire the brake signal. The rest is wired as shown in the FLCAN install guide using data mode.
My van doesn't have power liftgate, so I ended up wiring up both Ch 3 and Ch 5 to the left slide door output. The two channels are isolated using 2 relays. This allow me to open the left slide by just pressing the trunk pop button on the 2 way remote. On the 1 way remote, I just press the Option 1 button. No need to fumble with pressing 2 buttons simultaneously on the 2 way to open the left slide. As to the right slide (Ch6), just press either the Opt button on the 2 way, or press Opt 2 on the 1 way.
Thanks for everyone's help and info.
crank2hi 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2015 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crank2hi
Recently I installed a Prestige APS997E along with a Flashlogic FLCAN in my 2008 Honda Odyssey. The FLCAN is flashed with 'FLC-AL(DL)-HA1-EN'. I am using data mode for the lock/unlock control.
Everything is connected and working, but I notice the first press of the disarm only unlock the drivers door. I need a second press of disarm to unlock all doors. I know Honda calls this the priority unlock feature, but I almost always ride with my wife and kids, so it'd be nice to just unlock all doors on first button press.
Since this is done through data, I don't think it's anything to be set on the R/S alarm itself. Is there something that can be set in the FLCAN programming when it was flashed? Or this is the way it will have to work.
Thanks
tedmond 
Posted: April 02, 2015 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
in the FLCAN, under advanced programming options set FORCE UNLOCK ON FIRST PRESS.
If you do not have the ads-usb, follow the advanced programming manually
http://files.idatalink.com/Support/Manuals/ADVANCED_MENUS_V2_20120413.pdf
Ted
Compustar Expert
crank2hi 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2015 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote crank2hi
tedmond, thank you so much for the information. I had no idea there was such a guide for that device (even after many days of searching). I will give it a try tonight.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic