the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Integrate aftermarket push-button with Viper Smart Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tedmond
In your case, there is no easy way about turning a KEYED vehicle, into a PTS without adding any security features. Just not going to happen. The RDID is the size of a credit card, which you'd probably keep in your wallet anyways.
You're retrofitting new tech into older tech. To break it down for you...the advanced keys gets you your PTS but you must carry the RFID card with you. Obviously this is for security reasons. This has a remote start built in so you won't need an extra part. To get phone control, then you have to purchase either the SmartStart or Drone.
I get the idea of walk to the vehicle, and driving away is "elegant," but think of the drawbacks. You forget your phone, your phone runs out of battery - how do you start it then? you loose the phone-then you're really in trouble. The point is, the system you have in mind relies on a battery operated source; which is only good as long as its powered. This is where RFID comes in, Simply RF = no power required. The rfid tag simply replaces your key, and eliminates turning of a key. Guess you never really thought of the drawbacks. In short, the smartphone get-in-and-drive-away idea will never happen. To get as close to your ideal system is the
advanced keys + standalone smart start/drone to trigger the advanced keys to start.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2015 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Or the story of my friend driving 20 miles to work for his wife to phone him with a "drive straight home and don't turn the engine off, you left your prox key in the garage".
rogwilco 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
I agree that relying on a battery powered device for access to your vehicle -exclusively- is not a good idea. But I'm also not opposed to having a low-tech/passive solution as a backup.
It's something we call graceful degredation in software development. Adding new conveniences doesn't have to be an either/or decision. It just needs to be designed in such a way that when an advanced feature fails, it gracefully falls back to a more basic equivalent.
At any rate, it sounds like the out-of-the-box solutions just aren't there yet (though the AdvancedKeys forums show they are investigating smartphone integration. I was hoping I could take what's already out there and piece something together, but it sounds like I'm going to have to compromise on some aspect. It also sounds like it wouldn't be worth the extra time and customization required to go the DIY route, at least for the moment.
rogwilco 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rogwilco
*degradation
Bah, need to get better at proofreading for my next 42 posts...
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Yes but I personally wonder how far software development is going especially on cars, does the future mechanic have to read and write codes?
Roger Wilco and out Squadron Leader.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
LOL. We definitely need a LIKE button.... (... drive straight home...)
Graceful degredation (me too!) degradation is what I call redundancy or fallback (whether hardware or software - who cares?).
All too often I find instead the classic undocumented features (does that still mean a bug?) else design flaw and few have manual bypass facilities. Many know my view on post-2000 vehicles in particular and vehicles where automated functions cannot be deactivated (ABS, stability controls, auto-wipers or lighting etc).
IMO today's fault finding mechanic is called an Automotive Electrician. Mechanics merely service vehicles or respond iac diagnostic readouts.
Tho some mechanics are good, based on what they often say I'd hate to see them write code... If an OEM can release a runaway car, imagine what a hacker could do? (IE - unstoppable cars - all you can do is steer the vehicle until it runs out of fuel or something stops you.)   
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic