the12volt.com spacer
icon

Adding 508D proximity sensor to factory Chrysler

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
calvarez 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2015 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote calvarez
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Factory security & remote start
DB All 2 and Viper VSM250 Smart Start
I would like to add a 508D sensor to protect the Jeep when I have the doors and the top off. I'm aware of the limitations and issues of these sensors, and have used them before with good success. However, I can't figure out one wiring detail.
One easy way to integrate the sensor is to connect it to the tailgate switch wire via a relay, which does set off the alarm. However this wire also causes the "tailgate open" warning to come on in the dash. So if the 508D is always powered, it will constantly show a warning on the dash, and chime. Also I'd like to have the warn-away zone wired to a small siren and the dome lights, which again, would go off while driving. I have not been able to find any wire that is powered or ground only when armed. A manual switch would be less than optimal for both security and convenience reasons. Any other ideas?
I'd probably also add a hood pin switch going to the same tailgate wire. Believe it or not, they didn't protect the hood at all with the factory alarm! But that's not as important as the motion, I just mention it in case anyone has thoughts on that or a better way to protect the hood.
I'm open to other hardware and solutions that get to the end goal. I want to be able to arm/disarm with either the fob or the Smart Start system, not extra fobs or lose functionality of either system.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You'll need to boost the output current to the trunk trigger unlikely to work with factory alarm otherwise. No idea where you're going to find a "ground when armed" unless you place a latching dual coil relay from the vehicle lock motor wires.
calvarez 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote calvarez
I will be using a relay for the trunk trigger, of course.
I hadn't thought of the latching relay and motor wires. Are you talking about the 611T? Is this something you've done, or seen documented? Would it be reliable? It seems like a pretty easy solution since the entire harness runs by the passenger kick and is easy to connect to. I'd have to use the tailgate lock wires, since the Jeep knows when the doors are off, and probably doesn't send power to the non-existed locks then.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You can use that but look up Omron dual coil latching relays 12 Volt coil, Farnell, Mouser etc.
A lot cheaper. Fed when lock and unlock motor wires go to 12V+
calvarez 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote calvarez
I did a little searching and I'm led to believe (maybe wrong) that this method could easily result in the 508D being disabled when armed and enabled when disarmed. As I understand it, hitting lock on an already-armed/locked car would result in the relays turning off, right? This is likely to happen; my household has a habit of just making sure the cars are locked and pressing lock on the keys hanging in the kitchen before going to bed. Not the end of the world, but I'm trying to fully understand the situation before doing it.
Thanks for your info and quick reply, it's leading me to some solutions that nobody else thought of.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Absolutely not use this:-
Manufacturer: OMRON ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS
Newark Part No.: 82X7238
Manufacturer Part No G5RLK1AEDC12
About $5
That's the Farnell number, I used these over 20 years ago on a Clifford Solaris with only one aux, used it as a trunk release with alarm on, headlights with alarm off.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
The relay grabs the 0.8 second POS on lock to LATCH it so you've a constant ground, then when you unlock it grabs the unlock 0.8 second POS pulse to open the circuit. How do you think an alar's ground when armed works?
This is an earlier Omron showing typical circuits:-
284_omron_g6ck-_2114p-us12dc.bmp
calvarez 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote calvarez
Well that's simple enough, thanks. Now to find the lock/unlock wires in the harness...
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Driver or passenger kick panel, going into doors. Use the driver's in case you have priority unlock.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2015 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Driver kick panel, black 14 pin plug at door loom:-
Lock = tan/white pin 8
Unlock = tan/light green OR tan / YELLOW pin 1
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic