icon

Help - Wiring head unit to battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
idrivered 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

I have a massive interior shorting problem in my car, where all the interior lights go dim or the dome flashes and the memory on my factory deck is lost.  Anyways I have temporarily fixed it enough so it doesnt feel like a disco.

Well I now want to install my deck and amp basically a simple system, but was wondering if I could bypass the harness and power the deck straight from the battery or the amp and if so what kind of fuse would I need and what guage wire should I use for the power to the deck, not the amp.

Any help would be appreciated cus I'm dying to get this in but am at a stand still.

Details:

Head unit  - 4x50 watts + cd changer; Amplifier - 4x100 watts; subs; tweeters and midrange.

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

As long as you fuse the wire within 1-2 of the positive battery terminal, you will be good to go.  I'd check the fuse rating for the head unit and use a fuse that's one step above it.  Probably it'll be a 10 amp ATC fuse so you can just use a 15 amp ATC fuse.  All you really need is an ATC fuseholder like this one: http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCRP7130

And the wire can be 12 gauge if you want, it doesn't have to be 10 gauge.

Of course this is all just for the head unit; you'll probably want an 8-gauge power cable with a 40 amp inline AGU fuse for the amplifier.  Just make sure both of the inline fuses are within a couple feet of the positive battery terminal.

And if you have a GM vehicle you might need to get an adapter post.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
soon2bealarmtec 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Alright whats wrong with the factory adapter harness power wire if it has one if not than power it to the battery i would use an inline fuse, i says use a 4 awg wire for the battery whichever you deicide is best for you. Yes i would use an inline fuse that has 2 wires one on each end, one wire you butt connect with the deck power wire and the other you crimp on a ring connector and it goes to the battery simple huh.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Only time when you cannot use the factory +12 volts constant wire is when you're dealing with high current head units like the new Alpine's.  In that case a direct connection to the battery must be done, OR you can do a 4-gauge main wire with the 2-wire inline fuse holder if running an external aftermarket amp as well.  Just make sure that you use big enough gauge wire to account for the added current draw (very little but still) of the head unit., as well as the length of the power wie for the head unit.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic