icon

MECP Test tips

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
airshives23 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys,,im new to the board and im gonna be takin the MECP test on june 13 w/out taking any classes.  I ordered the basic installer study guide and i have been reading through it and highling and stuff,,,but when i got done,,,and i took the online practice exam,,,i didnt pass,, and i dont want to fail this test, now everyone says this is easy, and i know what im doing,,,but its like the test is harder than it actually is for me,,,i could go and show hands on how to do anything on the test,,,but reading it is different for me,,,,for those who have the basic installer certification,,,what are some things on the test they hit a lot,,,or some areas of concern that i should master before taking the exam,,,i just dont want to freeze up on the test and fail...any help would be appreciated

thanx

completeaudio 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
if you know the study guide ...then you should do fine.  Pay special attention to the all notes that are already set aside.  You should know ohms law good and know how to use it in problems.  You should pay special attention to shop saftey ... people tend to overlook some specifics in this section that are important.  Also know the basics of cellular and naviagation.  Keep studing the book.... the questions come directly from that book.  Do the practice q's in each section...  they are similar to test questions. 
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hey. Unfortunately most employers put a lot of stress on being MECP certified. The problem is being booksmart doesn't mean you have a clue when you get in a car. Also the test itself (in my opinion) covers a lot of BS that as an installer you don't need to know by memory, and doesn't focus on the things REAL installers deal with and need to know. BUT enough of that I'll try and help you out with what you need to pass.
Basic electricity and ohms law usage are necessary, and all installers should be comfortable in that area. You have 12 volts and a 4 ohm resistance, how many amps will flow? 3. You need to know how to figure little things like that out. Also they will give you those in word form and you need to be able to figure that out as well. Know the definitions of caps, resistors, diodes, etc and what they do.
General knowledge of relays the different parts (contacts, coil, blah..), and numbering (85, 86, etc). Also something I feel most installers need to know.
Pay special attention to anything in the book about wireless and antenna mounting, db loss, etc. Not a ton of questions on this, but remembering these will get you a couple more right answers.
Security. Know the different types of pin switches, know the most common types of sensors and transmitters.
Know how octaves work. Definitions of SPL, decibel, most bold words in the book.
I can tell you right away the questions you will have trouble with are going to be the ones in the autosound chapter, the security chapter, and the few wireless/navigation questions.
Without any prior clue of what exactly is on the test I would say it's damn hard to study from that book and pass the test. Just too much info to sort through and figure out what you need to remember and what you don't. I'm sure I missed a lot just giving some ideas from what I remember. Take your time and read the questions fully they like to word things in a way that would confuse people easily.
Also remember that the test has different sections and you need at least a 70% ? on each section to pass. If you have one weak area that's all that matters you will fail. Keep going over that book good luck on the test! It's not the end of the world I can tell you there's a ton of GREAT installers out there who couldn't pass that test to save their lives.
completeaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
i have to disagree with you about the book... the book is a geat study guide and if you know the information from it ... you should not have a problem passing.  I used only the book to study and go ta 92% overall.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  
Which book were you using? The newer black covers or the old skool blue? Just wondering..
completeaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
At the time the black book  just came out ... so i didnt know it was available until after i took the test.  I used the blue book which covers more material than what is needed (for the more advanced tests).  Study from the black book ... that will cover everything you need to know for the basic test.
howie 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
try outlining the chapters. bold print words and terms are a must.kwow relays
howie
airshives23 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
do they have symbol pictures that u need to know??????

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic