icon

Popping Noise in Subs...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mfronczak 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not exactly sure how to describe this noise I get, but I'll try...

In the past, when I first hooked up subs they would make this "thump" noise when I first turned on the amp, or when I first connected the speaker wire.  It was almost like they hit at about quarter power when first powered up.  I'm assuming that this is pretty normal???

Anyway, about three times a day I hear the same noise while listening to a CD or the radio.  It'll be in the middle of a song, but not when the base is hitting.  I'll hear this "thump, thump" noise and then it'll be fine for a couple of hours.  At first, I thought that maybe the amp was momentarily losing power, but I've checked and re-checked all of the connections and everything is good and tight.  Right now, it's more of an annoyance than anything but I'm afraid that it'll lead to a bigger problem, like my amp cutting our or something.  Any thoughts?

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Are your grounds clean of paint/debris? You want to make sure they are connected to clean bare metal on the chasis of the car.
Check your remote connection behind the headunit, the crimp may be loose.
The initial thump you heard was probably the amp turning on before the RCA connection was completed by the headunit (turning the amps on before the headunit). The same thing can happen if you turn the amps off at the same time as the headunit as well.
Is there any more specifics to the problem (certain type of music, bass level, driving conditions like a bumpy road, etc...)
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
mfronczak 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

After reading your reply, I'm guessing that it's a ground problem.  I'll check it tonight.

As for other specifics, it happens during all types of music, mostly at mid-volume or lower (which leads me to think that it may be happening at higher volumes, I just can't hear it) and it can happen while driving or just sitting still.

I'll check the ground then the remote wire to see if either of these take care of it.  Thanks for the advice.

mfronczak 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

Could the problem be interference with the head unit from a cell phone or some other type of device?  I had my cell phone sitting on the console (it was on) and everything was okay.  I picked it up and dialed a number, and as soon as I hit Send, the noise happened twice in a row, then the subs started humming.  It quit as soon as I hit End on the phone.

I seem to remember this happening a couple of times in a fast-food drive through also...is there any way to fix this???

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
You've solved your own problem! If you are getting interference over the headunit while the cell phone is in operation (you are using it) then turn the radio off first. I have the same problem with my Nextel and have to turn the radio off before I can make/receive a call without interference in the speakers and subs.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
Actually... the next question I need to ask is if this problem only happens when listening to the radio?
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
mfronczak 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
No, this problem seems (I stress seems because I don't really listen to the radio all that much) to be much worse when listening to a CD, specifically an MP3 CD.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
How are your cables run? You should have the Power wires running down 1 side of the car, and the signal cables (RCA/speaker wires) running down the other.
Normally cell phone interference only happens while listening to the radio, not the CD player which is why I asked about the wires.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Slackux 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
I had relatively the same problem when using a cheap amp in my car. What I found it to be was whats called "Engine Noise", more or less just interference based on the varying voltage of the car (12~14V). Make sure your grounds are clean, and the guage of wire used for the ground is as large or larger than your positive connection. You also might try using those nice gold-plated RCA cables, or even a line filter to kill engine noise.
mfronczak 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I've had a problem in the past with engine noise, but it was a constant low hum through all the speakers, not a thumping or popping through just a set.  An inline filter did take care of that problem, though.

I think that I'm going to check the ground wire, I'm still not convinced that it is 100% correct.  But, as long as I leave my cell phone off while I'm driving, I haven't noticed a problem...

The amp is mounted underneath the passenger seat, so the power wire comes through the firewall near the brake pedal and then runs under the dash.  Basically, it meets up with the rca's and the remote wire near where the passenger door hinges, and then all of the wires are together underneath the rocker trim panel.  The only alternative would be to run the power wire along the driver side, across the back someplace (maybe under the seat?) and then to the amp...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic