icon

2 subs, 1 chamber

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soybeanstorm 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

Has anybody ever tried placing 2 subs (not isobarically) in an enclosure, sharing the airspace (ie 1 shared chamber for both subs, mounted regularly)?

My initial thoughts of this is that when placing 2 subs in a shared enclosure, it probably changes the characteristics of the sub, making the box size requirements different than the manufacture provided specs.  Is this correct?

delta737310 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
when u have 2 subs aharing thesame air space  one of thesubs becomes what u call a slave to the other. in other wordsthe strondger sub will be more dominant and hinder the performance of the weaker sub.  thus u  will not get  100 percent performance which is alwayss prefered.  In some cases the difference is very noticable and in some cases it may not.  
soybeanstorm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

What do you mean stronger sub?  What if both are the same subs, driven by the same channel on the same amp?

bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
    Just make sure that you give the subs the space they require. So if the subs require 1cubicft make sure you have two. Otherwise they won't sound right.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
What delta737310 was refering to is imperfections in the subs. If you have 1 new and 1 old sub, odds are that the new sub will perform better than the old (not gospil, just an example!). Even if you buy 2 identical subs at the same time, imperfections in one sub will cause the performance to differ from the other. If you place them in the same airspace then the stronger sub will hinder the weaker one. I've always heard that it was a good idea to use seperate chambers for best overall performance. That way each sub is only hindered by power, size, and it's own imperfections.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
soybeanstorm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

So, from what I gather, you guys are saying:

1) generally, not good to share a chamber

2) if they share the same chamber, the total space required is still the same as the total space in 2 independent chambers

.. hm..  if #2 is true, then, it really doesn't make sense to share a chamber (you're not saving any space). 

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to save space while using 2 subs.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Need some info to help you save some space. What kind of subs do you have( model #)  and what type of enclosure and volume do you plan on using.
soybeanstorm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 12" Orion XTR series 2 subs.  They require 1.5 ft^3 / sub in a sealed box, 2.5ft^3 in a ported. 

I'm planning on only using 1 sub in a 1.5 ft^3 sealed box, unless somebody can suggest a way to use both without causing too much of an increase in space.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic