Frequency Response: 25 Hz - 800 Hz
Efficiency: 92.9 dB
EPDM Rubber Surround
Molded & Texture Injected Poly Cone
2 Inch 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil
Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils
2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation
Lug Lock Terminals

So like... should i get a 1500 watt amp? 1000 Watt amp? 2000? I don't know! AHHHHH!! PLEASE HELP!

Thank ya How strong of an Amp should i get? - Last Post -- posted image.

D148l0 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

Some subs? how many?

d148l0
LowerDFirebirD 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
i got 2 12" subs
D148l0 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

As a rule of thumb, you could use a 1000 watts RMS amp, 500 watts for each sub. There are several options to consider, given the DVC: If you want to wire them in stereo (an option that some people into SQ like, but IMO it's only noticeable in very specific installs) you need a 2 x 500 watts @ 2 ohms amp, and each subwoofer's DVC wired in parallel to each channel. However, most people (myself included) prefer to wire the subs as a mono load, in that case you may use a 1 x 1000 watts  @ 4 or 1 ohm, depending on the way you wire the subs (to see how to wire your subs to obtain either a 4 or a 1 ohm load, visit this link: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html ).If you go with the 1 ohm load, it is very important to make sure that the amp is stable at 1 ohm, or you are gonna damage it...

Finally, those are only some options... also you may consider the kind of enclosure for your subs. If you are going to put them in small sealed boxes, they probably may need the full 1000 watts to perform at it's best, but if you use a ported / bandpass enclosure, a lot of times you can obtain the same performance with considerably less power...

Please, anybody correct me if I'm wrong... hope it's useful.

d148l0
D148l0 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, you may want to see the voltage at which the amp is rated... if it's rated at 12 volts, most probably you will get the watts you are supposed to, in a standard installation. If it's rated at 14.4 volts, you should expect less power from the amp, since most cars operate a lot closer to the 12 than to the 14 volt figure. Please note that I wrote closer, not one or the other value...
d148l0
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
1000 x 1 @ 1ohm is what you should be looking for with two 4ohm DVC's. From what I've read, the JBL BP1200.1 is a good amp, and not too expensive either. Even though the website does not show 1ohm stability, the manual does. The reason 1ohm is not listed on the website is because there is no power increase between 1 and 2 ohms with this amp. It's 1200 x 1 @ 1ohm and 1200 x 1 @ 2ohms. Wire like this and you'll be set...
How strong of an Amp should i get? - Last Post -- posted image.
You will definately want to consider a battery upgrade at the least, possibly an alternator upgrade as well.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic