icon

stereo dies when i dim interiors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rockfordboy87 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

i just got a new system in my car and when i turn on my lights or dim my interior lights the cd player dies and the system shuts off......but when i un dim them it comes back on......also could someone tell me what a capacitor actually does.......thank you

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure that the head unit's dimmer and/or illumination wires are taped off and not connected to any of the vehicle's wiring.  Then I'd make sure that the head unit has both a good ground connection as well as a good source of +12 volt constant power.  As a last resort it may be necessary to run a fused wire directly to the positive battery terminal.

And I'm not really good at explaining the science behind a lot of these things, so for the capacitor nitty gritty info info look here.  The part that you'll be mainly concerned with is the section regarding "stiffening type capacitors".  But in a nutshell it stores energy for an amp to use during a brief musical peak and prevent headlights from dimming....but I will not delve any further into the subject of capacitors cuz I don't wanna get flamed for any of my commentsstereo dies when i dim interiors - Last Post -- posted image..

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

In a nutshell, capacitors are used discharge power quickly---they can react faster then your vehicles electrical system .  They are only good for short bursts, they constantly charge and discharge.

-Cy

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm it sounds like you hooked the switched ignition wire to the dimmer wire in the car? Double check what wire you have the switched 12v wire (usually red on aftermarket radios) going to. Does the wire it connects to get power when you turn the key on and lose power when you turn the key off, or does it get and lose power when you play with the lights? Also what kind of car is it we can probably tell you what wires you should be connected to. Another thing if you connected the orange wires off the radio to ANYTHING, try disconnecting them all together and taping them up.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Actually NowYouKnow, The dimmer wire will show ground when testing which leads me to think that he grabbed that for his ground. But it does my heart good knowing that someone is on the right track.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic