the12volt.com spacer
icon

Foglights install bad buzzing relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fosgate24360 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2016 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fosgate24360
Wondering if anyone out there has any input on this....
Installed fog lights on a 2011 Jeep Liberty(which didn't come with from the factory). I did it the proper way of using a relay and now everything works as it should however when the foglights are on I get a very bad buzzing noise coming from the relay. This is my wire layout to/from the relay:
5 pin
-----
30 to battery positive(fused)
85 to ground(I used battery negative)
86 to factory low beam(tapped into it)
87 to both fog light positives
ground both fog light negatives(I used battery negative)
I basically want the fog lights to come on with the low beams without using a toggle switch thats why I tapped into the factory low beam wire. The factory headlight harness has 3 wires in it. one side low beam one side high beam and middle ground. The relay as I mentioned is a 5 pin 40amp.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2016 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
The low beam headlights are probably receiving pulsed DC power. You'll need a diode and capacitor. Diode in series with the relay coil, capacitor in parallel with the relay coil. A 1N4000 series diode is fine. 1000uf, 16V minimum electrolytic capacitor should suffice.
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fosgate24360
Yea I was reading Jeeps use some pulse width modulation signal for the lighting. I also forgot to mention I am using cree led for the headlights, which when I installed those they also had a bad flicker and fortunately the company sent me out a set of plug and play capacitors which fixed that issue. So I thought since I tapped into the low beam wire the fog lights wouldn't have any issues. The only thing maybe is where I tapped the wire(I tapped into the low beam wire at the factory headlight harness which is before that capacitor). Maybe if i relocate and tap into the low beam after that capacitor it would fix it?
wyciwug 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wyciwug
I used the small capacitor from radioshack. I used on 3 jeeps and one camaro.
dcd
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
A connection after the capacitor will probably fix your problem.
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2016 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fosgate24360
Yes it indeed did the trick. You beat me to replying back. One more thing....I noticed now that the plug and play capacitor sometimes makes a click noise which in turn makes the relay do that click, but it is by far not like it was. I can see with high beams on the headlight with that capacitor will flicker when I rev the engine the other is good. Does this mean the capacitor is soon to be shot?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2016 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
No, not necessarily. You might just need more capacitance. Many multimeters will read capacitance, so you might check your meter to verify. You might also try connecting another capacitor in parallel to increase the capacitance.
Another idea would be to tap into one of the low beam wires under the hood for your fog light trigger. This will simplify the wiring, eliminating any need for a capacitor.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fosgate24360
Old post but....got a new set of LED headlights installed, have LED still in the fogs. The new headlights dont have any capacitors on them so I just tapped the fogs into the low beam wire and have that buzzing sound on the realay for the fog lights again. Any suggestions?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2018 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Follow Ween's advice above.
Alternatively, test for a good signal at the headlight switch, before it goes to the light module. Maybe you can use that to trigger your relay.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
fosgate24360 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2018 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fosgate24360
So is there any other way to just tap the fogs into the factory low beam wire without any relay and diodes/capacitors?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic