the12volt.com spacer
icon

iDatalink 45 second shutdown if no takeover

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2016 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shafferny
I just picked up a 2011 Ram 1500. I'm thinking about swapping out the Code Alarm RS that's in it for a Compustar/iDatalink setup. The range on the Code Alarm sucks and it's only one-way, not only that, but I already have a CM6200, ADS-ALCA and a set of 2WG9 remotes laying around. Anyway...here's my question.
I was looking at the iDatalink guide for this particular vehicle. The wiring diagrams don't look like anything special, but the RS take-over procedure is a bit of a turn off. According to the guide you only have 45 seconds to perform the take-over procedure after you unlock the doors. Is this a new safety feature iDatalink has started to implement?
I've used iDatalink bypasses for quite a few installs but this has me looking at other options.
For reference, this is the guide I'm looking at:
ADS-AL(DL)-CH4-EN
Available for: ADS-AL CA CH4
Rev. Date: October 28, 2015
Doc. No.: ##23958##
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2016 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shafferny
I just looked at the Fortin solution for the same truck and no mention of a 45 second window for takeover. Interesting.
triniforever 
Copper - Posts: 323
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2016 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote triniforever
When you are flashing the ALCA if i am not mistaken in the menu you can change that option to do a normal takeover! How are you Shafferny its been a ling time .
triniforever
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2016 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shafferny
Yeah, it's been a while since I posted. I still stop by the forum from time to time. Just haven't been posting much.
I just looked at the menu settings. The two settings available are "normal take over" and "shutdown with door open". I'm assuming the shutdown with door open option is the one they're referring to in the guide. I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens I guess.
Thanks for the tip triniforever!
triniforever 
Copper - Posts: 323
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2016 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote triniforever
Good luck
triniforever
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2016 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beegbie
The reason for this is so the truck can't be stolen under remote start. While under remote start, anyone can stick their finger in the ignition, turn it on, and steal the truck. 45 second window is required so this doesn't happen.
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2016 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shafferny
beegbie wrote:
The reason for this is so the truck can't be stolen under remote start. While under remote start, anyone can stick their finger in the ignition, turn it on, and steal the truck. 45 second window is required so this doesn't happen.
I understand that, but once the RS shuts down, wouldn't the vehicle also?
I mean, if you stuck your finger in the ignition switch to turn it to the ON position, hit the brake, and the RS shut down, wouldn't the vehicle look to see if there's a key(chip) in the ignition and if not, shut the vehicle down?
I guess I don't see where it would be any different than any other vehicle with a good old transponder key. Am I missing something?
beegbie 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2016 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beegbie
shafferny wrote:
beegbie wrote:
I understand that, but once the RS shuts down, wouldn't the vehicle also?
Not if a thief turned the ignition with their finger before stepping on the brake.
shafferny wrote:
I mean, if you stuck your finger in the ignition switch to turn it to the ON position, hit the brake, and the RS shut down, wouldn't the vehicle look to see if there's a key(chip) in the ignition and if not, shut the vehicle down?
No.
shafferny wrote:
I guess I don't see where it would be any different than any other vehicle with a good old transponder key. Am I missing something?
Yes. Your key is not cut like all other transponder keys. The immobilizer signal is what unlocks the cylinder. Don't take my word for it, all of this can easily be tested if you remote start the car while sitting in the driver's seat without the key. Remote start it, turn the ignition with your finger, then drive away.
beegbie 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2016 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote beegbie
Well, that didn't work out like I planned. You get the point though. Let me know if this still doesn't make sense. I may not be doing a great job explaining it.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2016 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
beegbie wrote:
Well, that didn't work out like I planned...
Fixed your post.
iDatalink 45 second shutdown if no takeover -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic