the12volt.com spacer
icon

All goes silent at higher volumes not clipping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nu2droid 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2016 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nu2droid
I added a Pyle pla2378 (2000w 2 channel amp ) and 2 4 ohm svc woofers to my factory radio in my 2014 kia soul (base model radio is marked 14 volt , 4 ohm). The amp is powered by and grounded by 4 gauge wires wired directly to the battery. The inputs are spliced from the factory wire harness and connected to the amp by rca jacks. When I turn the stereo up the system goes quite when the dial hits 28-30 (out of 45). Everything goes quite: the front speakers, rear speakers and the woofers. What makes me think it is not clipping is, after it goes quite the only way to reset it is to shut the car off. That, is the only way it resets. The system qoes quite but does not shut off nor does it go in protect mode (as the green power light stays on and the red protect light never lights up) If I remove either one of the inputs I can turn the system all the way up. I have wired the speakers individually and parallel.   Didn't think about this, but when I spliced the input wire at the radio, I spliced into the existing speaker wire and I did not disconnect the rear factory speakers. Would that do it. Would that add the resistance of the factory speakers therefore making it more than the amp or radio can handle? If so, why does it work when I unplug one of the inputs? Shouldn't it also cut out if only one channel is being used? The voltage at the amp from the power terminals is 13.9-14.1. When the system goes silent the voltage at the terminals drop to approx 13.55. The speakers are rated for 4 ohm and measure just at 3.9-4.1 ohms. There is 0 resistance on the power wire, ground wire and remote (access wire). Any help is greatly appreciated.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2016 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
Sounds like you are shorting out your head unit and it is shutting down in protection. You say you "spliced" into the factory wiring harness? Did you use an LOC to drive the amplifier?
Support the12volt.com
nu2droid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2016 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nu2droid
I spliced the wire into the factory speaker wires and the other side is the rca jack into the amp.
nu2droid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2016 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nu2droid
Originally I had the 4 gauge wire to the seat bracket. It produced 5-8 ohms of resistance when I checked the ground from the battery. Then I ran a new 4 gauge wire from the battery to metal under the bracket, then a second wire from the bracket to the amp. All links now have at most a 0.1 ohm reading. I also added an additional ground to the radio, which also now has 0 resistance..
nu2droid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2016 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nu2droid
DYohn wrote:
Sounds like you are shorting out your head unit and it is shutting down in protection. You say you "spliced" into the factory wiring harness? Did you use an LOC to drive the amplifier?
No, I did not use a loc. Going to look into getting one though so I can rule that too
nu2droid 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2016 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nu2droid
Question. .... What happens when you draw more ohms then "allowed".. what I mean is if the radio channels are 4 ohm and I am adding the 4 ohm woofers to the existing car speakers... what will happen? Would it cause this?   The description of the amp says ,"Input sensitivity: 200mV-5V". I measured the input at .2 volts, that is good then, Correct?
pegleg1960 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pegleg1960
You can't just add more speakers to your existing wiring. If you do you change the ohms at the amp. I don't ever use factory wiring except steering and nav controls. It sounds like your amp is either overheating due to the low ohms at amp or you have a short. It could also be an intermittent interruption to the power or a speaker wire or RCA cable not fitting properly.
All goes silent at higher volumes not clipping - Last Post -- posted image.
Just sharing a pic of what's in the bed of my Mazda.
Pegleg Charlie
Builder-Charlie Cannon Subwoofer Enclosures and general troublemaker at
LMMFAO Corp.(LOL)
pegleg1960 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pegleg1960
If they are wired in series the Ohms would be at 8 Ohms. If wired in parallel they would be wired at 2 Ohms. Both situations present major issues. First of all, if the two sets of speakers are wired for 8 Ohms(series) you just cut your wattage output at the amp in half. If the amp isn't 2 Ohm stable then you're trying to pull more watts and thus, more power. I would not recommend wiring the way you have wired it because it can cause a myriad of other issues, including frying your stuff.
Pegleg Charlie
Builder-Charlie Cannon Subwoofer Enclosures and general troublemaker at
LMMFAO Corp.(LOL)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic