the12volt.com spacer
icon

Does Pioneer HU work with ignition off?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spandrel 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote spandrel
Most car radios can be switched on with the ignition turned off. Am I right expecting Pioneer DEH6300 to do this?
I'm testing it out using a PSU and it all works great, except it doesn't switch on if I remove the ignition wire. I'm thinking there may be a vague earth route through all the ignition circuits which it needs. Any ideas?
I want to fit it in back of campervan on the leisure battery, but I don't want to have a pretend ignition switch 'cos I'll forget to switch it off.Does Pioneer HU work with ignition off? -- posted image.
mcnugget 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mcnugget
My Kenwood doesn't work with the ignition off even if I hold the button. You could wire fused +12v battery to the +12v ignition on the radio's harness and then just use the off button on the radio.
spandrel 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote spandrel
I wish I could do that but it draws about 140mA when it's off, so it would flatten the battery in a few days.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
Most radios won't turn ON if the ignition is off. You need to install a switch of some sort.
sparky
spandrel 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2016 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote spandrel
I've got a radio in my Polo and a JVC in the van and they both turn on without the ignition. Why have they started making them so they won't turn on? Really annoying. Maybe we're too stupid to turn them off when we leave the car.
OK thanks, looks like a switch is needed. I'll rig a flashing LED on it so I don't forget to switch it off.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic