the12volt.com spacer
icon

Testing Tach wire at instrument cluster

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prince504 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2016 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
kreg357 wrote:
When it comes to the Tach wire, I have found that you can attach the R/S Tach Input wire and try a Tach Learn safely
without causing any harm to the vehicle. With the R/S units I use, the Tach Input wire has a very high impedance
and places virtually no load or interference on the vehicles Tach wire. While it is best to use all available wire
guides and other info sources to locate the wire and run the DMM test on it first, sometimes the real test is the actual
Tach Learn. If you have a high-end R/S system, you can always go to a F.I. or Spark Plug Coil, plus on many Toyota's,
Pin 9 of the OBD2 plug has a Tach signal.
Thnx for the input. I did check the OBD and the wasn't a wire at pin 9 but next time, I will try to see if the device would learn Tach from that wires.
And so if I understand you correctly, a remote start signal can never learn Tach from a non true Tach wire right?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
And so if I understand you correctly, a remote start signal can never learn Tach from a non true Tach wire right?
Basically, yes. If it is not a good Tach signal, it won't successfully learn the signal. But actual remote starts when the engine is cold, warm, hot and various weather conditions are the true tests. I have had good Tach Learns but over-cranks when hot and no-starts during real low temps. Every vehicle and R/S brand can yeild different results.
Soldering is fun!
prince504 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2016 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
kreg357 wrote:
Basically, yes. If it is not a good Tach signal, it won't successfully learn the signal. But actual remote starts when the engine is cold, warm, hot and various weather conditions are the true tests. I have had good Tach Learns but over-cranks when hot and no-starts during real low temps. Every vehicle and R/S brand can yeild different results.
Ok. Thnx for the info.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic