the12volt.com spacer
icon

Customer thinks remote start caused accident

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prince504 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2016 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
Ayy input is appreciated. I have a client who got in an accident & think a remote I put on their system is to blame.
It's a 2009 Dodge Charger V6. We used a Standalone Fortin Evo-All (latest firmware) paired w/ an RF kit. The install was about 2 weeks ago. Recently, they contacted me stating that mid drive, their dash lights began to flash, gauges kept moving fast, ABS kicked in and the vehicle began to brake and then the car shut off and unfortunately another vehicle hit them from behind...
Prior to working on the vehicle, the client had to get their ignition switch checked out and the car was known to already have a hesitation with the engine during crank sometimes. I truly don't think a remote start could do this?
brownsfan1 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote brownsfan1
The burden of proof is on him. He just thinks it caused the problem? Or has a dealer looked at it and pointed the finger. I just don't see this as being remotely possible. Was a tharness used? Any wires need to be cut as part of the installation? I can't remember off the top of my head.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2016 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Cars stop running for a myriad of reasons all the time. In California, he who hits from the rear is at fault. Whether the RS caused the stall or not is irrelevant to placing liability for the accident. Hopefully you have a garage-keeper's policy. Let your insurance co figure it out if it comes to that. It shouldn't.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
Possible, yes. Probable, no. Either way, ditto. The rear ender is at fault regardless of cause.
Gary Sather
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2016 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Same in the UK, vehicle behind is at fault, out of interest are any ignition wires cut on the install? Note I said CUT not JOINED to.
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
brownsfan1 wrote:
The burden of proof is on him. He just thinks it caused the problem? Or has a dealer looked at it and pointed the finger. I just don't see this as being remotely possible. Was a tharness used? Any wires need to be cut as part of the installation? I can't remember off the top of my head.
He thinks we caused it. I did contact Fortin Tech support and they confirmed that they have never had any vehicle respond this way for their Evo-All bypasses and the rep further confirm what I already knew which was that there is no way the bypass take control of the cause that would result it it braking by itself.
davep. wrote:
Cars stop running for a myriad of reasons all the time. In California, he who hits from the rear is at fault. Whether the RS caused the stall or not is irrelevant to placing liability for the accident. Hopefully you have a garage-keeper's policy. Let your insurance co figure it out if it comes to that. It shouldn't.
Unfortunately, I don't have insurance but I do have an extensive pre-inspection checklist that I go thru w/ the customer on every vehicle I work on and they sign before & after the work is done to confirm everything was working as it was.
tonanzith wrote:
Possible, yes. Probable, no. Either way, ditto. The rear ender is at fault regardless of cause.
You think it's possible for a bypass to cause a car to brake by itself? I thought most bypasses receive a brake signal not send out...
howie ll wrote:
Same in the UK, vehicle behind is at fault, out of interest are any ignition wires cut on the install? Note I said CUT not JOINED to.
No wires had to be cut. I misspoke earlier when I said it was a 2009 Charger, It was actually a 2007 Charger. I did a twist and wrap w/ 3M electrical tape followed by zip tie on all my connections.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Then subject to examination, there was no way your installation could have caused the problem.
brownsfan1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2016 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote brownsfan1
No wires cut there is no way possible it would have shut that car off.
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2016 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
brownsfan1 wrote:
No wires cut there is no way possible it would have shut that car off.
So it is safe to assume that IF a wire had to be cut for installation per the install guide, the internal relay of the bypass could fail and thus cause the Ignition to turn off?
Also, correct me if am around but when the internal relay on these bypasses fail, don't the fail to a "closed" circuit state? Thus, the ignition would be connected had the relay failed.
brownsfan1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2016 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote brownsfan1
I don't think they fail open. I was thinking more along the lines of cold solder joint or failed butt connector
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic