icon

Capacitor not keeping charge?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MisledMedia 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

I running a 1 fared digital BOSS compacitor...I know BOSS is weak, however, the chrome model was mad cheap last year when I bought it...alittle bit of nail polish remover and all the logos were gone. haha

Anyways, I have had it unhooked for about 1/2 a year...still in my car, just decharged. Well I just re hooked up my amps...one power amp for my 2 audiobahn subs and another smaller visonik amp for my mids/highs up front.

When the cap finishes charging up the system works great, but after about 10-20 min BOTH amps stop working. They both loose power, and the status indicator on the cap shows it is trying to charge again. This is all while the car has been running too...

I just can't seem to figure it out...as the amps should still get power no matter if the cap is charged or not, since all the connectors go in/out on one + terminal...so the power from my battery should still be flowing through... ???

So far, the only thing I can think to cause it is that my new power amp has a 100amp fuse and I'm only running an 80amp MAXIfuse on my 4awg in the engine bay..with another 80 amp fuse in my distribution block before the capacitor. Could that cause a problem?

Thanks!

Doug

cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

I am no expert by any means, but I think you might need to go to a second battery instead.  The caps are only good for short bass bursts.  The way it sounds another battery would be better.  This also means you will need a high output alternator.  i would think about getting one of these anyway because the stock alternator just cant charge everything quick enough.  This is just what I think and kinda have heard on these forums.

1 plus 1 equals 2
1nicemustang 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
WELL the second battery is only gonna help when the car is off and your listening to the stereo. remember the car runs off the alternator. start the car and unhook the battery while its running......the car will still run. the battery is only for starting the car. the cap should be the same voltage as what the battery is at the time of testing with in +/-.5 volt if its not then you have a large voltage drop and should look into mechanic problems alternator or maybe the cable being too small.
hondas and such are known for only 65-80 amp alternators what vehice do you have? although good for 150 watt amps not for what you show you have alot goin on.
second....im having a problem with dimming headlights even while the car is moving. i have a 600 watt amp thats running 2ohm and on an 8 awg cable. even with a 1 farad cap the more volumne the more dimming...slight..but still dimming.
i have looked into high output alternators..my mustang has a 130 amp alt which should surfice....when tested im getting 12.8-13.5 at the batt and amp...so not much loss at all maybe 1.2 volt. when the bass hits.
its leading me to believe that the cable is at fault....8ga too small so im upgrading to 2 ga and maybe installing a bigger cap...
hope this helps
NiceGuy818 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2003 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
How is your cap connected? you sure you connected it right? Because the problem might be that the battery doesn't charge the cap.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic