the12volt.com spacer
icon

2013 Honda Civic Remote Start Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
waterytart 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2016 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote waterytart
Any suggestions for my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. I am literally at my wits end with this. I have a 2013 Honda Civic with an automatic transmission. I installed a Viper 4105 remote start with a Xpresskit PKALL Immobilizer bypass.
On my initial installation, I setup the unit to run on Virtual Tach. Everything seemed great, it would fire up and run no problem. The next morning, I found out that the car would start and run for about 15-20 seconds and then automatically shut itself off. I performed shutdown diagnostics and got 3 flashes indicating low or no RPM’s. So, I changed the RS over to “Tach” mode and connected the Tach lead to a brown wire on the first coil pack on top of the engine. This is the method that I’ve seen countless other posts saying worked for them. I reprogrammed the remote start to learn the new tach signal (about 1,000 rpms) and got the single parking light flash confirming that the unit sensed the analog signal.
After the installation everything was great. It fired up and ran without issue, until is sat overnight again. When I use the remote start first thing in the morning the car starts but the remote starter does not disengage the starter motor. It will actually start the car and grind the starter for about 10 seconds and then shut down. The RS does not know the engine is running. It will try this three times before turning completely off. If I start the car with the key and let it run for about a minute or two and then try the remote start, it will work perfectly again.
I completely redid the ground wire just to make sure I had that covered.
This morning, as soon as the RS started to grind the starter with the vehicle running, I shut it off with the remote. I started it with the key and tested tach wire. It was reading higher than normal because the engine was revving a little higher, about 1500 rpms, probably due to it being a cold morning. 37 degrees. I tried to relearn the tach signal at that point but the RS unit would not do it, it acted as if there was no signal at all.
I am going to switch engine checking to “off” until I can get to the bottom of this. I’m afraid if I don’t this thing is going to destroy my starter if I accidently active the remote start after it has sat overnight.
What would change from a warm engine to a cold engine that would cause the remote start to not recognize the tach signal???
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 408
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2016 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote silvercivicsir
Try an injector wire..
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2016 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
fuel injector wire info:
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
Test wire with DMM
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
waterytart 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote waterytart
Thank you silvercivicsir and smokeman1 for the suggestion and the web link. I disconnected the tach lead from the coil pack and connected it to the brown wire on the injector that is closest to the passenger side of the car. I went through the Tach learning process with the RS and everything seems to be running great again. It starts perfectly with no starter grinding at all. Now I wait for the early morning test.....
waterytart 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2016 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote waterytart
Well, it is confirmed. Using an injector wire and tach mode is the solution. Thank you again!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic