the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wire spotlights to turn on with high beam

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thorvald 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2016 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote thorvald
I have wired many cars, trucks and suvs With extra high beam spotlights, but I can't for the life of my get it to work on my montero sport. I have used a relay, wired it to be activated by the high beam signal from the front head light. Nothing happens. All the other cars I earlier have wired have been positiv switching headlights, and the montero must be negative switching, that's the only reason I can think of.....
Can somebody tell me how to wire this to work? ;)
Wire spotlights to turn on with high beam -- posted image.
thorvald 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2016 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote thorvald
Any takers? 🤗🤗🤗
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2016 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
Does the 'beam' indicator in the combination meter/instrument cluster
only illuminate when the high beams are on? A relay coil in parallel with the indicator should give the desired switching (yellow/red and red wires). A switch in series with the relay coil would allow disabling the spotlights. The relay should also be able to be wired across the RED / yellow and red at either headlight, as all these circuits are in parallel.
whit1t 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2016 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whit1t
I just did this exact thing to my late father's 2002 RAM 2500.
The headlights are negative trigger. (+12v) to lights at all times from the factory. I wired mine to come on with high beams OR with an auxilliary switch using 2 relays wired as follows....
Pin 85 relay 1 (-) trigger from r/or wire from dimmer switch--easily accessible from under steering column. Pin 86 from relay 1 and pins 30 from relay 1 and relay 2 tied together to constant (+12v). Pin 85 relay 2 (-) chassis ground. Pin 86 relay 2 (+12v) trigger from aux switch. Pins 87 from relay 1 AND relay 2 tied together out to spot/driving lights. If you want use the aux switch as (-) trigger, just tie pin 86 relay 2 with both pin 30s and pin 86 from relay 1 to (+12v) and pin 85 from relay 2 to your (-) trigger wire from the aux switch.
whit1t 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2016 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whit1t
Sorry about wire colors and location......got caught up in the Dodge thing. It appears, by your schematic, that your headlights are negatively triggered as well. I hope my post helps.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic